Chrysler recalling 2010 Dodge Journey crossovers in the wake of reports that the ignition key could move while driving and cause the engine to shut of

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703300904576178423642327988.html

Associated Press

Chrysler Group LLC is recalling about 250,000 vehicles to fix potential engine stalling.

The Auburn Hills, Mich., company says it will recall 2010 Dodge Grand Caravan and Chrysler Town & Country minivans and 2010 Dodge Journey crossovers in the wake of reports that the ignition key could move while driving and cause the engine to shut off.

Chrysler says if the engine shuts off while driving, it could increase the risk of a crash. The vehicles were built between August 2009 and June 2010.

The auto company told the government it had received 32 customer complaints and was aware of two rear-end crashes. The recall is expected to begin in April.

Separately, Mazda Motor Corp. said it is recalling more than 50,000 Mazda6 cars from the 2009-2010 model years in the United States and an additional 15,000 vehicles in Canada, Mexico and Puerto Rico after discovering spider webs in the car's vents.

Dealers had identified 20 cases in which yellow sac spider webs were found in the vents, a spokesman said. It was unclear why they were crawling into the Mazda6 rather than other vehicles. Owners will be notified by mid-March and told to take their vehicles to dealers for inspection and repairs.

• 3 weeks later...

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703300904576178423642327988.html

Associated Press

Chrysler Group LLC is recalling about 250,000 vehicles to fix potential engine stalling.

The Auburn Hills, Mich., company says it will recall 2010 Dodge Grand Caravan and Chrysler Town & Country minivans and 2010 Dodge Journey crossovers in the wake of reports that the ignition key could move while driving and cause the engine to shut off.

Chrysler says if the engine shuts off while driving, it could increase the risk of a crash. The vehicles were built between August 2009 and June 2010.

The auto company told the government it had received 32 customer complaints and was aware of two rear-end crashes. The recall is expected to begin in April.

Separately, Mazda Motor Corp. said it is recalling more than 50,000 Mazda6 cars from the 2009-2010 model years in the United States and an additional 15,000 vehicles in Canada, Mexico and Puerto Rico after discovering spider webs in the car's vents.

Dealers had identified 20 cases in which yellow sac spider webs were found in the vents, a spokesman said. It was unclear why they were crawling into the Mazda6 rather than other vehicles. Owners will be notified by mid-March and told to take their vehicles to dealers for inspection and repairs.

Thanks for the information. We recently turned our vehicle in for this problem and have been told because it cannot be replicated they will NOT FIX IT! I have talked to Dodge at the number you have provided and I was treated with lack of concern for our safety. The Rep. Mgr. told me that he's not a service technician and cannot help me get our vehicle fixed nor can he direct me to a technical department that can. He advised me to go and try other Dodge dealerships to see if their techs can diagnose the problem. He said my VIN# does not show that it will be recalled! We are shocked at Dodge's response, we purchased the vehicle with 29K miles on it and have only put 3,000 miles on the vehicle and the vehicle has turned itself off more than 6 times. It was a major concern for us when our son was driving it and it turned off in an intersection. Dodge obviously feels there is no real issue here unless someone is injured.

We do not want to see another issue like Toyota, when they did not follow up on their customer's acceleration complaints causing a family to be killed.

Check the build date on the door placard (driver's side). If it falls in the build date of the window, it more than likely will be recalled. Chrysler just hasn't identified or released the VIN #'s yet.

We had a recall for our '09 Journey (K07 - front door wiring harnesses) and in January the recall was announced in the media. It was February before we received a letter stating our Journey was eligible for the recall. That's why the dealer is saying the recall isn't listed for your vehicle (yet).

Contact Chrysler's customer service number. It should be in the owner's manual.

• 3 months later...

Got the letter on this over the weekend. Says to wait until Mid-July to call so that dealers can get the parts on hand, if they decide yours needs replaced.

Same here. Received the letter about a week ago or so. Now we have two recalls on our '10:

1) Customer Satisfaction Notication K37 - Occupant Restrain Controller Module

2) Safety Recall L25 - Wireless Ignition Node Module Detents - Parts not available until 7/15/2011.

• 6 months later...

I purchased my 2010 Journey in August of 2011, on January 8, 2012 I received a notice from Chrysler stating there was a recall (L25) on my vehicle. The thing that bothers me the most about this is the fact that this vehicle was sold to me after the recall was put out and it has been back to the dealer 4 times since and they have never mentioned the recall. I would think a dealer would have fixed a major problem in my eyes because if my vehicle shuts off while being driven could actually would lead to a major lawsuit. Does anyone know if i have any recourse against the dealer for selling me this vehicle?

• 1 month later...

Since the problem was that people would weigh down their fobs with keys that would apply torque and switch off the ignition they really only had two options;

1. Apply a sticker to the dash that states not to put other keys on a ring with the fob (which, interesting enough would have been acceptable to the NHTSA).

2. Make it so that owner's keys would not cause the problem - and since this was across the entire product line, I think it was a stand-up thing to do that they chose to do a physical modification than to take the 'easy' way out and print up a million or so stickers and mail them out.

Regarding the L25 recall, I didn't like how the ring made the key more difficult to turn, but I've grown use to it. I can deal with a little friction vs the vehicle turning itself off (which ours never did).

Due to the recalls we were able to test a 2011 Ram 1500 Quad Cab for a weekend. The dealer finished the L25 recall and in the process of performing the K37 (ORM) flash, they fried the ORM. When the installed a new ORM samething happened. Didn't have any more in stock so they put us in a rental on their dime - new part would be in Monday (this was a Saturday). Only choice on the rental was 2 Rams or a Dakota. Took the one of the Rams. Even though it had the improved 4.7L, I still liked my 5.7L Hemi in my '06 Ram better. Still a nice ride. Chrysler figured out the handheld computer (not a laptop) had an issue and was shorting out the ORM. Told the dealer to use a laptop instead. Our recall ended up costing Chrysler over $1800 - two ORM's at $600 a pop plus the cost of the rental.