First Impressions of my White 2011 Crew

drb227

Have had my white 2011 Crew for almost 2 days now. It has the Nav and Sound Group I and the Flexible Seating group. Previous to this I had a well equipped 2007 Caliber SXT .

The seats are very comfortable and the front seats heat up very fast, much faster than the Caliber. The adjustable power lumbar allowed me to find the perfect spot for comfortable support. There is a decent amount of adjustability (fore/aft and recline) to the second row seats. Very easy to get the second row seats to flip forward for access to the third row. The third row seats are fine for kids if the second row seats are moved up a bit. I personally wouldn't want to sit back there for any length of time but I knew that before I bought the Journey. I got the third row for the occasional times when we need the space for 6 or 7 people. Most of the time, the third row seats will be folded down.

When the third row seats are up, there is still enough cargo space for me to put fit my laptop bag and other items. I was concerned that it may not be deep enough. When the third row is folded, cargo space is plenty for my needs.

The dash and instrument cluster are really sharp. The glove box is tiny but that is somewhat made up for with the under seat front passenger storage, storage bin under the radio, two little cubbies on either side of the storage bin and the deep front console. The cup holders hold a large double double very well!

Everything is well lit at night. There are tiny lights below the front door armrests to illuminate where the bottle holder spot is and there are puddle lamps at the bottom of the front doors. Even the USB and auxiliary ports in the centre console are illuminated. There is plenty of interior overhead lighting when entering the vehicle in the dark.

The 8.4" touchscreen is really nice. Very responsive and quick. Very easy to read. Does tend to get washed out in bright sunlight. I do find that the navigation voice is not very loud and it doesn't turn the volume down low enough on the audio currently playing so that you can clearly hear the navigation instructions. The voice command options are somewhat limited as well. Surprised that there are no voice commands for the nav. Also, I have not been successful at all trying to change songs while my iPhone is connected via USB or when I'm using an SD card with my music on it. Every time I try a command like "play the artist ..." or "play the song ...", it never works. It does work to change the source, so that if I'm listening to FM radio and I want to switch to satellite or ipod, I can speak the command and it has worked every time. Hopefully future firmware updates will address some of the issues and maybe add new commands. You can control MUCH more by voice with the MyFordTouch system.

Have only put about 200 kms on the Journey so far and the gas mileage is around 15 L/100km. Not too surprising given that the engine is green and most of my driving is not on the highway and the temperature is below zero right now. No doubt it will improve as the engine gets broken in. The transmission sure does like to upshift quickly, no doubt for the sake of improved fuel economy. By the time I'm at 40 km/h, it is already in 4th gear. It is also reluctant to downshift unless you really put your foot into it, also no doubt in an effort to help the gas mileage. You need to push the pedal about half way down to really get the transmission to downshift. Just something to be aware of when you need to accelerate quickly!

While driving, the interior is fairly quiet. Very easy to get up to illegal highway speeds if you are not paying attention. The Journey is deceptively quick at accelerating!

Overall, I am extremely happy with my Journey, even though it has only been 2 days.

Will post pictures in the next few days.

Edited by drb227

• 4 weeks later...

I posted quite a few interior pictures of my 2011 Crew a while back. I have been waiting to put my summer tires back on before posting exterior photos and the weather here has been really crappy the past few weeks.

I will be posting exterior pics, I promise!

I posted quite a few interior pictures of my 2011 Crew a while back. I have been waiting to put my summer tires back on before posting exterior photos and the weather here has been really crappy the past few weeks.

I will be posting exterior pics, I promise!

glad you got back to us. and make sure you post interior pics also.

• 2 weeks later...