Journey, off road/pavement?

pdomansky

Has anyone taken their 2009/2010 Journey off road? (NOT 4x4ing... but on light gravel roads, well maintained logging roads etc. for camping...)

I was curious because even though it's not built for heavy off road use, it does have a fair bit of ground clearance and I was thinking of getting some slightly more agressive tires, some Yokohama Geolander All Terrain tires or similar, for my 2010 Journey. What are your thoughts? I am asking because I am an avid camper/hiker.

Thanks

Has anyone taken their 2009/2010 Journey off road?

I have taken my 2010 R/T towing my boat to my cottage and the last 8 miles are a gravel grid road. It handled very well and the extra clearance was welcome. It seems to handle the gravel roads quite well. Hope this helps.

Regards

Terry

• 9 months later...

Hey pdomansky, did you ever go with the Geolanders? I currently have the 19's and in need of new tires but the cost is $1000+ for 19" tires. Was debating going with 17's instead with the Geolander Off Roads. I could get new tires and rims for the same price as just tires. Just curious if you went through with the purchase and how the Journey handles with the aggressive tire. Thanks.

• 9 months later...

I'm pretty happy with the clearance on the DJ, and handling with a full heavy load on gravel/dirt/potholed roads (went camping this past weekend with the family) felt good, and definitely didn't lack for power.

as for clearance, it really depends on what you're trying to avoid; I used to have an issue with the Caliber in that I'd always scrape the bottom front facia when parking, to the point I cracked it one winter. I haven't had this issue with the DJ yet as it clears most curbs easily enough, however, I did hit a raised walkway on a ramp in a parking garage, and hit it rather hard. Sheered away a couple mm's of plastic at the very bottom (almost like a lip..not sure why it's there...), but finding that the facia is much stronger than the Calibers and couldn't find any real damage anywhere.

Edited by Psyke

• 1 month later...

Have had my 2012 R/T AWD for a couple of months now & have had it on forestry & logging roads quite a bit. It's no "Bush Basher" but handles the gravel, small rocks, potholes, ruts, washboard, etc quite well. Here's a pic of where we had it last weekend. This was up a 20 minute drive up one of those roads to where all the 4x4's go around here....

PS, Stock Kumho tires

095.JPG

Edited by BC_IT_Guy

hate to revive from the dead ...... but im also curious about this as well ... I have the 19" chromies and will be looking for winter tires and rims in the coming weeks for our salty Ontario winters - I was hoping to get a nice aggressive chunky winter tire to compliment my AWD.

Hello sexyRTboi

I'm not sure about typing that out, but that's another story......LOL.

I also have the 19" Chrome Wheels and Kumho tires, IMO this combo seems fine in our winters around here, where we do get lots of snow but it could be best described a a "dry" cold. In Ontario are you mandated to put on winter tires like Quebec? I have used my tires through 2 prairie winters + AWD and never had a problem. I will admit I do not go looking to get stuck and so far never had a problem. My vehicle now has 28,000 kms and when it comes time to replace the Kumho's, I will probably get something like the Michelins.

Just my thoughts....... :)

Terry

144701002.jpg

Edited by Windancer

"In Ontario are you mandated to put on winter tires like Quebec?

No Ontario has not implemented this,I have not used snowtires

since 1969 and have been stuck only 1 time in all these years.

That was in my '82 Camaro during record snowfall in Toronto.

• 5 months later...
I have taken mine on a 'not-so-well' maintained logging road, twice. My work location is a long drive from home (1600 km) and I can cut quite a bit off my drive by taking a 79km dirt, industrial road. It handles it without issue.

I have a 2010 R/T AWD

Do you mean 160km?

• 10 months later...

It should be able to handle moderate mud and ruts with the right tires and driver technique, just know it's not a Ram and it's not a 4wd vehicle that is designed to go "off roading". Realize the vehicles capabilities before you get into a situation you or the vehicle is not prepared for.

Edited by jkeaton

• 4 weeks later...