Any Former Jeep Liberty Owners?

We currently own a 2007 Jeep Liberty Limited (the second Liberty which we've had) and like it reasonably well but are giving serious thought to jumping ship and getting a Journey, probably late next year. Just wondered if there are any former "KJ" owners on this board who now have Journeys and, if so, what are their opinions of the differences.

I used to own a 2002 jeep Liberty loved it. When we bought a travel trailer in 2004 we traded it in for a 3500 dodge Ram truck. We did not want two car payments at the time.

Now I have just order the Journey mostley because hubby bought a Boat and we will need to Pull a trailer and a boat at the same time when we go camping.

Also we are going to have Five grand children by the end of the month. And as a good grandmother I want to take them sometimes with us. I even got the DVD player for the long trips. :happy feet::happy feet:

I had an 04 liberty up until this week. What I loved about the Jeep was that it was fun to drive, sporty and awesome to drive in nasty weather because of the 4wd.

So far my impressions of the Journey are spectacular. The ride is soooo much smoother than the jeep and its so much quieter. It is less "peppy" as it seems geared more for smooth riding rather than towing and off roading but it also changes gears much smoother. The only thing I can see missing about the jeep is when winter comes and not having the 4wd but time will tell.

this guy has no regrets for the swap!

I have a small House trailer, 1600 lbs, and I am wondering how a 3.5 Journey would be towing it. I have a 3.3 Dodge Caravan at present and sometimes I wish I had more power to haul the trailer. I have read that I can get a Dodge Nitro for about four thousand less than what the Journey would cost me. I know the Nitro would pull the trailer ok but I would prefer a Journey if towing the trailer was no problem. Do you think the Journey could do the job your Jeep would do in towing a trailer that weight?

Jay, I had a look on the Dodge site quickly, and the best towing capacity for the Nitro is 2000 Lbs, while the Journey SXT AWD is rated for 3500Lbs with the trailer prep package.

I know the manufacturers "enhance" the trailer ratings but as far as warranty issues, the Journey will tow more weight.

On the topic of the Liberty, as I had mentioned awhile back I was actually going to buy a Liberty but my wife said it wasn't large enough for us. That's when we saw the Journey, and here I am!!!

Rick.

Thanks for checking this out. The only advantage of the Nitro would be that it is a cheaper vehicle to buy at the moment because of a rebate deal. I have read rumours that the Nitro might be discontinued but again this is only a rumour.

When I was at the dealership last night, I saw a Nitro on the lot with 20" wheels!! I didn't even know that they had that option.

As far as price here in Canada, I don't think they have the rebate on the Nitro either. he Journey here doesn't have a rebate, or a discount fuel bonus.

Rick.

• 2 months later...

I have a 06 Diesel Liberty, really liked the vehicle but they really have bad issues. Should get my Journey today and I hope I never see a check engine light again, if I do, I will trade it in on a non DC product immediatly. I have been treated so bad, lied to, had 2 recalls (of the many done) said they did them and the work was not performed, was told by the dealer "do not bring that vehicle back to this dealership". One time the dealer asked me what type of -GAS- I was using, I said it is a Diesel, what, thats a Diesel, they drained the Diesel and put gas in it and it would not start, unbeilivable, I could go on and on, oh 180 days in the shop too. Wish me luck, if this Journey has 1 problem I'm done with DC.