Kumho Solace 19" Tire National Backorder

acreasy

Soooooo to make a long story short the tires that came on my Journey are only made my one manufacturer and are nationally back ordered. Here is my question can I put a 235 55 R19 tire on it instead of the 225 55 R19 tires that are on it now?

I just found this out as I got a flat tire this week and proceded to discover that the tire does not exist at the moment. No one has it. Not even Kumho as I called them. Lady said that they might have them by the first but no guarentee. If you have these tires, pray you don't get a flat, cause you will be fubar like me. I'm considering buying 17in wheels. Can you do this also...and switch to 17 in tires instead? Anyone have any suggestions?

Soooooo to make a long story short the tires that came on my Journey are only made my one manufacturer and are nationally back ordered. Here is my question can I put a 235 55 R19 tire on it instead of the 225 55 R19 tires that are on it now?

I would go with a 235/50 R19. Decent tire selection. The height is approximately .4" shorter (which I think is an advantage because it will give you a little more clearance in the fenders). But the big factor is that the Journey's 19" rims are only 7" width. The 235/50 R19 recommended rim width is 6.5-7.5. Most 235/55 R19's recommended rim widths are 7-8 and I think turning clearance would be extremely close. Way too close.

I would go with a 235/50 R19. Decent tire selection. The height is approximately .4" shorter (which I think is an advantage because it will give you a little more clearance in the fenders). But the big factor is that the Journey's 19" rims are only 7" width. The 235/50 R19 recommended rim width is 6.5-7.5. Most 235/55 R19's recommended rim widths are 7-8 and I think turning clearance would be extremely close. Way too close.

I just went through the same thing with mine. I called Dodge and pitched a fit, they called my dealer and arranged for them to put on four new Mich. 235/55R19. They re-embersed me for three of them. I have three originals for sale with 27,000 miles on them.

hi there, i had a flat tire on my journey as well, 19" tires, did you use the spare tire.... how did the car handle with the spare on? mine went crazy the engine light came on, the awd light was flashing, i had to get it towed.... our dealer had 19" tires on hand thankfully. i asked about changing to 17" and it is ok to do that but some computer setting for the transmission has to be reset to reflect the difference you will have in rpm's.

hi there, i had a flat tire on my journey as well, 19" tires, did you use the spare tire.... how did the car handle with the spare on? mine went crazy the engine light came on, the awd light was flashing, i had to get it towed.... our dealer had 19" tires on hand thankfully. i asked about changing to 17" and it is ok to do that but some computer setting for the transmission has to be reset to reflect the difference you will have in rpm's.

I just went through the same thing with mine. I called Dodge and pitched a fit, they called my dealer and arranged for them to put on four new Mich. 235/55R19. They re-embersed me for three of them. I have three originals for sale with 27,000 miles on them.

Hi...what did you say to get them to do that? I called Dodge customer service and all I got was gee, I'm sorry, but there's nothing I can do for you. Any info or help would be appreciated. I really need new tires, especially with winter coming up. Thanks!

My spare has been fine. But I've driven it sparingly. Sorry for the pun. I have an sxt front wheel, so I don't know if that has anything to do with why I haven't experienced any other technical issues. I didn't buy it from a dodge dealer, and it was used when I bought it, so I kind of feel like I"m up creek. The wife has been driving me to work.

• 1 month later...

Hey all, the stupid Kumho r still on back order from the factory big time, but just find out Active Green & Ross have a couple sets in stock, $1150 tax in/install/out the door. Also Cooksville Dodge Chrysler in Mississauga has 3, $280+tax cash & carry, might be able to work them a bit on the price, since they post different figure on local KIJIJI. my local indie garage in Toronto can get me only 2 from his tire wholesaler for $600 cash/installed. need to get them FAST ppl.

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-auto-parts-tires-tires-rims-TIRE-KUMHO-SOLUS-KH16-225-55-19-W0QQAdIdZ252097406

Edited by macaufan

• 1 month later...

I put on 235 55 R19 Yokohama Parada Spec-X from Tirerack.com ($167.00 ea) and ran them so far in ice, snow and rain with great performance. Rides and feels great and the size worked out fine.

• 2 weeks later...

Do you still have the originals for sale? I would be interested in buying one, if not all of them, if your price were right... I have a situation where I got a bulge on one and I still can't find replacements for them even now...

I wanted to respond to the options of switching from the 19" rim to an alternate size.

Unfortunately, Kumho or any other brand do not have a winter tire in the 19" spec for the Dodge Journey. Yes you could tweak the numbers in the 19" tire selections but then again you probably have alloy wheels and would like to have a second set of rims for winter. The dealer was aware of the problem and ordered on spec six sets of tires, rims and wheel sensors. I really wasn't happy with the $1400 bill but at least I had a second set of wheels. The steel rims ordered came in with tires of 225 / 70 R 16. Compared to the recommended 225 / 55 R 19 there is a 1.1% difference in diameter causing the speedo to be out by 1 km/h (too fast). Going to the 16" rim gave me so many options for tire selection. Tires purchased were the Hankook iPike and were excellent this past winter.

My big concern was the possibility of reprogramming of the wheel sensors EVERY time I switched the wheels. I was wrong. There is no reprogramming required at the dealer. The wheel sensors re-program the computer themselves by driving at a speed above 50 km/h for something like 10 minutes and the adjustment is made. Too easy.

Now spring and I need to replace my all-season (summer) tires and have one choice (Kumho) in the exact 225 / 55 R 19 tire size. I am considering the 235 / 50 R 19 tire size. Much more selection with only a 1.7% difference in diameter causing the speedo to be out by 2 km/h (too fast).

There are options!