Random No Start

My mom’s 2019 Journey with the 2.4L four cylinder motor will randomly not start. The motor will crank and crank but will not start. After a half hour of trying it will usually start and be fine for a while. This started shortly after I replaced the injectors (hard start prior) and has happen once or twice a month for the last 6 months or so. We have tried jumping it but that hasn’t worked in the past. Recently, this issue has become more frequent and takes longer for it to start again. My mom was stranded for an hour and a half today and ended up with a dead battery. When we jump started the car it fired right up. I have done a lot of digging and have found nothing on this topic. When we brought it to the repair shop, this issue wouldn’t recreate itself so they were left with no ideas. No codes are being thrown. I am thinking this is a fuel filter or fuel pump issue. Am I right in thinking those are both in the fuel tank? I am desperate to find a solution as no one has been able to help at this point. Thanks in advance. 

I have 3 OLDER Journey's, all with the 3.6 so not sure just what "version" of the 2.4 is in such a newer 2019 you have.

BUT the crankshaft position sensor has been a known weak link in starting/stalling problems with the older 2.4 motors. It will not always throw a code for this problem, many report this part failing and never throwing a code for it.

More background info such as miles and normal maint. that has been done {sparkplugs / type of driving patterns} would be helpful for more suggestions.

Good luck and let us know how things go that you do to take care of this problem.

also when it is not starting try moving the gear selector to neutral as some have mentioned problems with that.... I assume the grounds at the engine have been checked to make sure they are in good shape,

Hey guys. Thanks for the input. I swapped the plugs when I did the injectors. The car runs great otherwise so I didn’t think that was it. Just over 100,000 miles on the car when I swapped them out. I will look into the crankcase position sensor and swap plugs again. When I’m in there I’ll make sure grounds are good and battery connections are solid. Thanks and it may be a while before I can report back since the issue is sporadic. 

17 hours ago, WiscoJourney19 said:

My mom’s 2019 Journey with the 2.4L four cylinder motor will randomly not start. The motor will crank and crank but will not start. After a half hour of trying it will usually start and be fine for a while. This started shortly after I replaced the injectors (hard start prior) and has happen once or twice a month for the last 6 months or so. We have tried jumping it but that hasn’t worked in the past. Recently, this issue has become more frequent and takes longer for it to start again. My mom was stranded for an hour and a half today and ended up with a dead battery. When we jump started the car it fired right up. I have done a lot of digging and have found nothing on this topic. When we brought it to the repair shop, this issue wouldn’t recreate itself so they were left with no ideas. No codes are being thrown. I am thinking this is a fuel filter or fuel pump issue. Am I right in thinking those are both in the fuel tank? I am desperate to find a solution as no one has been able to help at this point. Thanks in advance. 

yes the fuel filter and pump are both inside the tank and are not serviceable, very seldom with a fuel filter plugging up these days, BUT you might have low fuel pressure from the fuel pump but would need some gages to check that and if it is interment almost impossible to catch

3 hours ago, WiscoJourney19 said:

Hey guys. Thanks for the input. I swapped the plugs when I did the injectors. The car runs great otherwise so I didn’t think that was it. Just over 100,000 miles on the car when I swapped them out. I will look into the crankcase position sensor and swap plugs again. When I’m in there I’ll make sure grounds are good and battery connections are solid. Thanks and it may be a while before I can report back since the issue is sporadic. 

So this Journey has over 100k miles on it already? Must drive it quite a bit, yes recheck/replace the plugs, but I still have a HUNCH that the crankshaft position sensor may be going out. As I stated before quite common to your symptoms. Has the CEL come on when driving it? Probably would not be a bad idea to have the computer scanned for trouble codes.