Urgent help with winter tires!!

silentdan

I need to get winter tires but want to keep the original rims on.Currently I have the 225/55/19" Kumho tires.

Can anyone suggests a size that would fit this stock rims.

Someone I know is giving me these for free Set of 225/70/16" Arctic Claw winter with steel rims.

will they fit the Journey?

Thanks!

Honestly, 17'' rims and tires will work out to about the same as just 19'' tires. Plus, if you use your stock rims, you are going to have to pay to have your tires re-mounted and re-balanced twice a year for the life of your car. Thats $24 - $30 per wheel! As for the TPMS... They are not necessary to have on your dodge Journey. Save yourself the $300 and buy a tire pressure guage. Or better yet, have nitrogen fill put in your tires. Major benefits to that. Just my thoughts.

Honestly, 17'' rims and tires will work out to about the same as just 19'' tires. Plus, if you use your stock rims, you are going to have to pay to have your tires re-mounted and re-balanced twice a year for the life of your car. Thats $24 - $30 per wheel! As for the TPMS... They are not necessary to have on your dodge Journey. Save yourself the $300 and buy a tire pressure guage. Or better yet, have nitrogen fill put in your tires. Major benefits to that. Just my thoughts.

I'm not very fond of the 19" tires on my Journey either.But what I wanted to know is if the wheals and tires I mentioned above would fit on my Journey.Someone I know is giving them to me for free and free is always better then paying a shitload of money for tires that are gonna be used for a short time and then stored somewhere.

Thanks for replying though!

I dont believe that the 16'' wheels will clear the brake calipers on the RT AWD. My 17'' barely clear them. The best thing to do is take 1 rim to a good tire shop and have them run a test fit. Are these 16'' wheels the right bolt pattern? Another thing you need to look at is that the load rating of the 16'' tires isn't too light. Could spell disaster.

I dont believe that the 16'' wheels will clear the brake calipers on the RT AWD. My 17'' barely clear them. The best thing to do is take 1 rim to a good tire shop and have them run a test fit. Are these 16'' wheels the right bolt pattern? Another thing you need to look at is that the load rating of the 16'' tires isn't too light. Could spell disaster.

OK thanks for the great points you made and will help greatly.

I will test one wheel first and see how it goes.

Cheers!

I have bought the 16" RIms and Michelin snows from a local tire shop. I do have any issues with them (been on a vouple of days now). They are the same set-up at on the Tire rack (read a few good reviews about the Michelins). I did not buy the TPMS as they are out of stock currently everywhere. The only issue is thetire light cflashes for a few seconds and then stays on while driving. Not a big issue for now and will decide later if I want to purchase them for next year.

I have an RT.

I have16" steel wheels on my RT and there is no issue with caliper clearance-the brakes are the same from an SE to an RT

I have bought the 16" RIms and Michelin snows from a local tire shop. I do have any issues with them (been on a vouple of days now). They are the same set-up at on the Tire rack (read a few good reviews about the Michelins). I did not buy the TPMS as they are out of stock currently everywhere. The only issue is thetire light cflashes for a few seconds and then stays on while driving. Not a big issue for now and will decide later if I want to purchase them for next year.

I have an RT.

Thanks for the info guys it helps a lot for me as I'm in the process of ditching my shitty 19" tires that Dodge decided was a good idea to put on the Journey.

Can you give me the exact tire size so I can purchase it for my SXT,thanks again.

I have16" steel wheels on my RT and there is no issue with caliper clearance-the brakes are the same from an SE to an RT

I have an RT.

Thanks for the info guys it helps a lot for me as I'm in the process of ditching my shitty 19" tires that Dodge decided was a good idea to put on the Journey.

I want to keep them cause I can't spend extra money for sensors and whole new rims,tight budget here so can't spend a ton of money.

You wouldn't have to purchase new sensors, but as the guy at the GM Goodwrench service counter advised me, you would see the sensor light on the entire time these tires were installed. So not necessary, but the warning light will remain on.

I also was asking him about winter tires as I have an R/T with 19" and if I keep the stock rims, I can get a set of Toyo tires installed for around $1280. He said I could get a set of 17" steel rims with tires (forget the brand) for around the same price. Difference being, like one earlier post mentioned, there'd be no extra fee for balancing twice a year with the 17"...plus, if you really wanted to, you have the option to change them yourself. Food for thought.