Transmission leak?

Hello everyone!

Me and my dad (Ford mechanic) had my Journey at his shop today so that I could change my spark plugs. It actually wasn't that bad a job and was surprised to see that they had been replaced previously. The ground straps were showing wear on one side, but otherwise looked good. Anyways, we lifted the vehicle in the air and found that I have a transmission leak. It is not leaking from the top, it is basically right in the middle between the engine and the transmission. I have attached some pictures. He is a Ford mechanic so doesn't have any experience with this vehicle. Does anyone have any idea of what could be leaking?

It is a 2017 Dodge Journey GT, 3.6L, 6spd Auto, AWD, 150000 KM's,

IMG_0190.JPG

IMG_0191.JPG

IMG_0188.JPG

IMG_0189.JPG

Wipe it off and keep an eye on it.  Might be able to ignore it for a while if it’s not badly  leaking.
Usually leaking where engine and tranny join is a torque converter front pump seal.  A $10 seal that takes 4-5 hours to replace unfortunately. Tranny has to completely come out to do it.

Since you have awd, this would also be the time to change the CPS crank sensor.  $25 wear item part that would be easy access with tranny out. Causes intermittent stalling when worn out, by heat and vibration.

Just something to check but are you sure its trans fluid, as the 3.6 engine when the oil cooler starts leaking it comes down the drivers side of the engine when it gets bad enough, a led light shining down along side of the oil cap will tell you if you have any leaking of oil out of the bottom of the oil filter /oil cooler,,good luck 

6 minutes ago, 2late4u said:

Just something to check but are you sure its trans fluid, as the 3.6 engine when the oil cooler starts leaking it comes down the drivers side of the engine when it gets bad enough, a led light shining down along side of the oil cap will tell you if you have any leaking of oil out of the bottom of the oil filter /oil cooler,,good luck 

Yup am sure this one is a tranny fluid leak. In the Journey the engine filter housing is on the passenger side and the transmission is on the drivers side. But when we were under the vehicle, I did notice quit a bit of oil on the AC compressor so am guessing that it will need to be fixed as well. Looking at Rock auto, Doorman has an all aluminum housing/oil cooler for CAD $335 because of course they don't have any gaskets in stock.

1 hour ago, johnvosh said:

Yup am sure this one is a tranny fluid leak. In the Journey the engine filter housing is on the passenger side and the transmission is on the drivers side. But when we were under the vehicle, I did notice quit a bit of oil on the AC compressor so am guessing that it will need to be fixed as well. Looking at Rock auto, Doorman has an all aluminum housing/oil cooler for CAD $335 because of course they don't have any gaskets in stock.

i agree with your [description of where the oil filter loc and the tranny loc what i was saying that when it does leak enough it, WILL drip on the drivers side downwards, it has been reported here a lot..just thought id throw that out as a possibility,, hope you get the leak fixed with the least amount of trouble and $$,good luck   I have seen some discussion on the internet about whether to use the alum one or go OEM, both good and bad reasons

Edited by 2late4u

7 hours ago, 2late4u said:

i agree with your [description of where the oil filter loc and the tranny loc what i was saying that when it does leak enough it, WILL drip on the drivers side downwards, it has been reported here a lot..just thought id throw that out as a possibility,, hope you get the leak fixed with the least amount of trouble and $$,good luck   I have seen some discussion on the internet about whether to use the alum one or go OEM, both good and bad reasons

Ya, sorry, I didn't realize that they had mounted the oil filter housing and cooler in the engine valley, what a dumb location.... And I'm guessing the fluid we did see was probably from that. It is just weird that the top of the engine really didn't look wet, but it is something we could of missed as well.

2 hours ago, johnvosh said:

Ya, sorry, I didn't realize that they had mounted the oil filter housing and cooler in the engine valley, what a dumb location.... And I'm guessing the fluid we did see was probably from that. It is just weird that the top of the engine really didn't look wet, but it is something we could of missed as well.

I just had mine replaced not long ago i just used a led flashlight and shined it down the side of the oil filter /cooler and you will see oil pooling at the base of the filter container IF that is your problem, i had been watching mine for a while as i have around 150 k on mine 2014, had it replaced at the dealership since i had a warranty on my journey...actually this would be a cheaper and easier repair than the trans IF this your problem, some of your pitures do look like trasns oil tho,,, take care

UV die added to oil can confirm which oil is leaking from what. If your dads a mechanic, he will figure it out. 
The oil cooler is one of the flaws of the 3.6 engine. Make to sure to change ptu and rear diff oil for awd components.