Front end noise

schalid

I have a 2010 Dodge Journey SXT. I just replaced both front struts, control arms, inner and outer tie rods, sway bar links, and ball joints. I think I now have more clunking than before. When going over rougher terrian I get the clunking. When I step on the gas kinda quick, It sounds like something broke. When I put on the brakes a little quick, same thing. If it does it when I give it gas, I can give it gas again and it does not do it until I hit the brakes. Same thing with brakes, hit the brakes twice and I have to hit the gas for it to do it again. I have triple checked everything new I put on. Everything is tight. All bolts and nuts. I have been under the vehicle several times and cant see why I get all the noise. Engine and tranny mounts look fine. Clunking on rough ground too I cant figure out why because everything is new and tight. Any ideas or anyone else with mysterious noise??

Did you also do sway bar bushing? I would try moving the car manually pushing on it up and down on the radiator support and then also on rear bumper to try and recreate while it is parked, it's possible sounds is coming from somewhere else then the front. 

It xould be motor or transmission mount. One way to test that ne is with hood open hold down brake all the way and give it some gas while running in gear. You don't need to floor it just enough to put a load on it.

Edited by Locosiete

If your hearing it when accelerating and braking I would check the calipers. Also check wheel bearings and confirm wheels are torqued down. Odds are it's something small missed. This weekend u did the tie rods on wife's car got it all together and she said what's this for. Even after I thought I checked everything I didn't torque down the castle nut. Luckily she found the cotter pin otherwise that could have been bad since I didn't tighten that.

On 11/4/2023 at 6:30 PM, schalid said:

I have a 2010 Dodge Journey SXT. I just replaced both front struts, control arms, inner and outer tie rods, sway bar links, and ball joints. I think I now have more clunking than before. When going over rougher terrian I get the clunking. When I step on the gas kinda quick, It sounds like something broke. When I put on the brakes a little quick, same thing. If it does it when I give it gas, I can give it gas again and it does not do it until I hit the brakes. Same thing with brakes, hit the brakes twice and I have to hit the gas for it to do it again. I have triple checked everything new I put on. Everything is tight. All bolts and nuts. I have been under the vehicle several times and cant see why I get all the noise. Engine and tranny mounts look fine. Clunking on rough ground too I cant figure out why because everything is new and tight. Any ideas or anyone else with mysterious noise??

I recently had a similar experience with my 2011.  I replaced the control arms, inner and outer tie rods, sway bar links and ball joint boots.  After the replacement I had a lot more noise that before, like clunking from both sides of the front end when changing direction, starting/stopping quickly, and going over large bumps.

Part of the problem was the new sway bar links.  They were junk.  I replaced them with a more reputable brand and it solved the noise while going over bumps.  But I still had the clunking when changing direction and starting/stopping quickly.

I was watching a YouTube video about the control arm replacement and the guy on the video used a jack to raise the suspension to approximately ride height before he tightened down the control arm bolts.  When I did mine, I tightened everything down with the vehicle in the air and the front suspension down completely (not at ride height).  I jacked it up, used another jack to get the suspension into approximate ride position, loosened and re-tightened the control arm bolts at ride height.  All of the clunking went away, and now my front end is completely silent.  I'm still not sure why this worked, but it did for me.

Edited by tsteves5

schalid when you replaced your struts did you use the complete strut or just the cartage that goes inside the spring,,,,journeys have been said that the upper strut bushing /bearings have been found to be the problem of the  noise/clunks that mostly journeys owners complain about,,( me as well)

1 hour ago, 2late4u said:

schalid when you replaced your struts did you use the complete strut or just the cartage that goes inside the spring,,,,journeys have been said that the upper strut bushing /bearings have been found to be the problem of the  noise/clunks that mostly journeys owners complain about,,( me as well)

I know mine is definitely an issue currently but I only hear it when I turn the wheel 

• 1 month later...

Addressing clunking noises after replacing multiple front-end components in your 2010 Dodge Journey SXT can be a perplexing situation, especially when you've diligently checked for tightness in all newly installed parts. Despite your thorough triple-check, a few potential issues might be causing the persistent clunking.

Firstly, verify that all components were installed correctly. While tightness is crucial, the correct orientation and alignment of parts such as control arms, struts, tie rods, sway bar links, and ball joints are equally essential. Misalignment or improper assembly could result in unusual sounds.

Secondly, consider inspecting the mounting points and connections for the front struts. If the mounting bolts or nuts are not torqued to specifications, it can lead to clunking noises. Ensure that the strut mounts and bearings are in good condition and properly seated.

Additionally, inspect the condition of the sway bar bushings and end links. If these components are worn or improperly installed, they can generate clunking sounds during driving.

It's also worth examining the subframe and chassis for any signs of damage or issues. A damaged subframe or compromised chassis integrity can contribute to unexpected noises.

If the issue persists despite your efforts, seeking the expertise of a professional mechanic or performing a detailed inspection by a qualified technician may be necessary. They can conduct a thorough examination, potentially utilizing diagnostic tools to pinpoint the exact source of the clunking noise and recommend the appropriate corrective measures.