Wind Noise

Jean-Louis

Just bought a new 2010 Journey SXT FWD. We drove a Dodge Grand Caravan Sport for 8 years, but we wanted something smaller and the ability to open the back door windows. We enjoy driving with the back passenger door window slightly open (6" or so). But to our surprise, the loud thumping wind noise prevents us from enjoying that. Has anyone else noticed this phenomenon? We think something must be wrong with our Journey. It is like something is attached to the roof rack and is slamming against the car. Surely Dodge engineers would not have allowed this!!

Just thought I would add that the noise sounds like a helicopter is directly over head, and starts at about 60-70km per hour. When we first heard it, we immediately put our emergency flashers on and pulled over. We though something had come loose on the car.

Just bought a new 2010 Journey SXT FWD. We drove a Dodge Grand Caravan Sport for 8 years, but we wanted something smaller and the ability to open the back door windows. We enjoy driving with the back passenger door window slightly open (6" or so). But to our surprise, the loud thumping wind noise prevents us from enjoying that. Has anyone else noticed this phenomenon? We think something must be wrong with our Journey. It is like something is attached to the roof rack and is slamming against the car. Surely Dodge engineers would not have allowed this!!

Just thought I would add that the noise sounds like a helicopter is directly over head, and starts at about 60-70km per hour. When we first heard it, we immediately put our emergency flashers on and pulled over. We though something had come loose on the car.

Nothing's wrong with your Journey. It's an aerodynamic effect caused by pressure changes inside your cabin. It happens on many vehicles when the rear windows are open and you obtain relatively high road speeds. Must have something to do with the wind-tunnel design of modern vehicles because I know I never experienced this on much older cars. Best I can suggest is to experiment with different amounts of open settings to see if you can make it any better. Or you can get wind screens for your windows!

This sounds like the same noise I had. Have the dealer check the front windshield cowl. There is a TSB for this. It cured my noise immediately

I don't think what you had is the same problem. The wind buffeting is a common problem that I have had in all my recent vehicles and cannot be corrected by changing a cowling. Below is a portion of the Journey manual discussing this buffeting noise:

Wind Buffeting

Wind buffeting can be described as the perception of

pressure on the ears or a helicopter type sound in the

ears. Your vehicle may exhibit wind buffeting with the

windows down, or the sunroof in certain open or partially

open positions. This is a normal occurrence and can

be minimized. If the buffeting occurs with the rear

windows open, then open the front and rear windows

together to minimize the buffeting. If the buffeting occurs

with the sunroof open, then adjust the sunroof opening to

minimize the buffeting or open any window.

They are right, it is a normal problem. Just like he said above, all you have to do is crack open another window but at a different level/heights. When I have my back windows open, I crack one of the front windows a inch or two to balance out the wind pressure. Or open the back windows at different hieghts/levels. Just play around with the window heights, and you will find the sweet spots. I thought all car do it. It is like sound breaking glass. You hit the right note(window height/level) and strange things happen.

I find this problem totally unacceptable. I so wanted back windows this time. I thought my eardrums were going to burst. It was actually painful... I had to shut the windows. Dodge must recognize that is is a design flaw.

As I mentioned in my first post, it is not a Journey specific problem. I have driven at least a half-dozen non-Dodge vehicles that exhibit the same behavior. Experiment with the window position to alleviate. I played around with it briefly the other day and found a significant improvement with a smaller window opening.

Its not a design fault. As stated above, its common. If you open a window, the air tries to get in and when eventually the inside pressure is high enough to overcome the force of the wind past the window, it 'pops' out. And then does it again.

and again

And again

All cars will do it unless they are not air tight....hence open the other window a little and the pressure doesnt build. I am surprised you havent come across this before.

• 1 month later...

Freaked me out the first time it happened in my 06 Equinox. When it happened in my 2010 RT after lowering the rear seat window, I just lowered the OTHER rear seat window to compensate.

If that does not work, look up and out the sunroof. Maybe there really is a helicopter following you.

Never had the problem in 4 different Taurus Wagons though. just the square front cars. Maybe there is something to the front cowling issue.

Elmwoodie.

• 1 month later...

this happens with most, if not all "hatchbacks". I had a 2 door hatchback and every time I had the sunroof off, it made a terrible noise. Cracking the windows helped. My Journey makes noise when I have JUST the rear windows open, but if the front windows are open then it's fine.

• 9 months later...

Most of the complaints I see on here are for 2009-2010 Journeys. No noise problems with my 2011. How about other 2011 owners?

I have a 2011 Journey Crew. It happens to the '11 model also. Even louder with the sunroof fully open and the back windows down! Just adjust the windows to minimize the turbulence inside the vehicle.

• 2 weeks later...

buy a wind deflector for the sun roof helps tremendously...

I know when I put one on my car it seemed to help a lot.It is just my perception only. I know that others may disagree.

144701002.jpg

Terry

Edited by Windancer

• 1 year later...