Dealer Recommended brake fluid - fuel service?

J'sjourney

I just got my oil/filter changed plus had the tires rotated,

The Service writer said that I also should have the brake fluid exchange (189.99) and the fuel system service (289.99) done.

I refused both.

I can not find any where (Operations Manual and else where) that says that these repairs are due.

If they are necessary should i have it done at the dealer or find a local shop or even a place like Firestone or Pep Boys.

Any advice would be welcomed.

Dodge 2020 Journey

Mileage 12,885

dealership just trying to rip you off, my 2014 145 k havent had the brake fluid changed but it might be a good idea for me with my mileage but the fluid is still clear and clean,there are test you can have done on the fluid to see the condition it is in,and fuel service is just preventive service that 99% of drivers wont or dont,,,which i havent done as well  and stay away from most chain stores like pep boys and such as they will rip you off as well..... read your manual and that is all you need to do that is listed in the service section

@2late4u

Thanks for your input.

Yea I won't have these services done.

The manual does not even have these services listed.

They do say when you do an oil change to inspect items like brakes, CV joints, automatic transmission fluid if equipped with dipstick, etc.

Plus, flush and replace engine coolant every 10 years and change the automatic transmission fluid and filter every 12 years.

Just an FYI, I will only drive between 7,500 and 10,000 miles per year.

1 hour ago, J'sjourney said:

@2late4u

Thanks for your input.

Yea I won't have these services done.

The manual does not even have these services listed.

They do say when you do an oil change to inspect items like brakes, CV joints, automatic transmission fluid if equipped with dipstick, etc.

Plus, flush and replace engine coolant every 10 years and change the automatic transmission fluid and filter every 12 years.

Just an FYI, I will only drive between 7,500 and 10,000 miles per year.

transmission service at 100 k along with plugs and coolant service,BUT if you are keeping your journey for the long term...i had my trans serviced at 60 k and then again at 100 k along with the plugs and coolant service....all up to you

Edited by 2late4u

With the ethanol  content in gas getting higher,  gasoline ages out much quicker. Try to run ethanol free or add injection cleaner or fuel conditioner once a year maybe.

Brake fluid is also time related not just kilometres; fluid absorbs water gradually. Anything less than 5 yrs is probably a waste of money. When a brake job is being done ask them to flush all the lines and reservoir. Adds very little cost to a brake job. 

1 hour ago, John/Horace said:

With the ethanol  content in gas getting higher,  gasoline ages out much quicker. Try to run ethanol free or add injection cleaner or fuel conditioner once a year maybe.

Brake fluid is also time related not just kilometres; fluid absorbs water gradually. Anything less than 5 yrs is probably a waste of money. When a brake job is being done ask them to flush all the lines and reservoir. Adds very little cost to a brake job. 

Thanks.

Good points, also. Will take your advice.

Thanks