abs

well my abs module is still on backorder at the dealership, But had to drive over to the Dr office in the big city of Huntsville and of course everyone drives 90 mph and tailgates everyone ,so us normal drivers that leave 5-6 car lengths behind the car in front are always getting cut off for leaving to much room..>LOL anyways all of a sudden everyone hits their brakes and the driver in the next lane sees all the room that i have in my lane and he cuts over and then of course has to hit his brakes causing me to lock up my brakes just to avoid an accident and thank goodness everyone avoids an accident, but after that my abs lights and brake lights turn off on the dash and i check and my cruise control is working again, so after the Dr visit the abs lights come back  on again going down the road and then after a short bit they go off,  then had to stop at another place for a bit and then start the drive home again and yepo the abs light comes on again and then after a bit it goes off till i get home,,, Just wondering so i check the connector on the abs module and everything looks tight and then i got to wondering if when i locked the brakes up if the brake fluid caused the abs to start working again intermittent, has got me thinking maybe to try to bleed all the brake lines to see if that might help with the bad abs module being intermittent, of course it also could be a connector problem as well, but just weird it started to work part time after having to hit the brakes so hard..... dealership said the module has an internal fault code so that is why they have it on backorder and also i have the max warranty as well so thats why i dont want to replace it for a aftermarket or parts yard part... what are your opinions on this???????

Since it started working {intermittently}, I'd try and have codes scanned again AND disconnect the module connector and apply a small amount of dielectric grease to the metal contact connection ends, PLASTIC connector may well be firmly in place, but that does NOT MEAN the individual wires are connecting well.Once scanned, please repost any ABS related codes.

was thinking that as well, dang thing is in an odd place to get to, will have check it out and see if i can get the connector off,,,also was watching the youtube videos on bleeding the system and to do a compleat bleeding with abs you need and high end scanner to operate the valves in the abs to get any thing that might be there to flush out,,,as the brake lines have never been opened or any work on them the chance of air or corrosion from old fluid is slim... guess ill check out you tube to see how the connector is latched to the pump..... too old and fat to work on all this new stuff..>>LOL

I do not know about Mopar but on Mercedes you really only need the scanner if your replacing the abs module or a component upstream from the module. Like the master cylinder or brake lines before it. Since most abs modules are a bosch design I would assume Mopars are the same. If your just bleeding them to bleed them it's not usually necessary. just do not let the master cylinder run dry. I worked in a shop which saw a lot of mercedes and bmw. We rarely needed to use the scanner for brake work. Unless we were working at or before the abs module. Replacing a caliper or brake line it was not necessary.

I doubt bleeding them will help but it is worth a try. Since the system was never opened the fluid could just be old. If it has a lot of moisture that can cause problems in the abs module. It can also lead to moisture pockets which can heat up faster than the brake fluid. It has to be rare or a sales gimmick but I have had a BG salesman swear that letting the moisture get too high can cause rust as well as intermittent abs issues.

We used litmus strips to test the fluid for moisture. I imagine you can get them online or have a local shop check it. Takes all of a couple minutes to do. The shop owner from above was so cheap he used blue food coloring in tap water to make the washer fluid look correct. He would buy actual washer fluid in the fall but we usually ran out in spring. He would refill the drum with water and add dye till the color was right. We did it as part of an oil change so they are cheap. We could test the same year car with similar mileage and come out with wildly different moisture readings.

• 3 months later...

just an update ,  the ABS unit is still on backorder at the dealership, But around 3-4 weeks ago all three lights are staying off ( abs, and  brake and traction control) quit coming on and the cruise is working again, I have been waiting on my stepson to bring his scanner over to see if the code (c2200-49) is stilled stored,doing the ign check just shows everything is okay..oh well will update again after he scans it and see if anything stored in the computer. oh well just another day in a dodge journey owners life....LOL

12 hours ago, 2late4u said:

just an update ,  the ABS unit is still on backorder at the dealership, But around 3-4 weeks ago all three lights are staying off ( abs, and  brake and traction control) quit coming on and the cruise is working again, I have been waiting on my stepson to bring his scanner over to see if the code (c2200-49) is stilled stored,doing the ign check just shows everything is okay..oh well will update again after he scans it and see if anything stored in the computer. oh well just another day in a dodge journey owners life....LOL

Glad to hear about warning lights, YES life with all these "do dads" can be such a joyous thing!

With 3 DJ's {have not sold the '11 yet}, each has a quirk that keeps my brain {?} spinning to figure out and fix. The '14 still gets an intermittent TPMS and trac. control but drives fine. The '13 is showing a stall at coming to a stop in 85*+ weather, but starts right back up with NO CODES. The '11 has a bearing drone on one of the corners, but not constant or at start out of a really worn wheel bearing. Mind those that read this, all 3 have 150+k miles on them, and I still enjoy each of them!