2014 Dodge Journey navigation/unlock maps

I have a 2014 Dodge Journey that I need to update the software, I'm not very computer savvy , so any laymen's terms would be helpful  

I understand that the upgrade is no longer available uconnect.

where can I find the information to help me upgrade the navigation?

Edited by Aldert

You can use garmin map software or open source. I have not done garmin but tried the open source. I think it's worth buying a garmin device with lifetime map updates. If you own a garmin device it's a matter of updating said device and copying a few files to a thumb drive and installing into uconnect.

The open source is finicky. I have not figured out how to delete the open maps once installed. They are large files and we have limited space on the uconnect. I tried to load the midwest and northeast open source maps but it only took the one I do not live in. Then the usb port decided it no longer liked any usb drives or to even charge a phone without dropping out constantly.

So, I would recommend the factory update or get a garmin device and go that way.

On 2/25/2023 at 9:04 AM, Dodgems said:

You can use garmin map software or open source. I have not done garmin but tried the open source. I think it's worth buying a garmin device with lifetime map updates. If you own a garmin device it's a matter of updating said device and copying a few files to a thumb drive and installing into uconnect.

The open source is finicky. I have not figured out how to delete the open maps once installed. They are large files and we have limited space on the uconnect. I tried to load the midwest and northeast open source maps but it only took the one I do not live in. Then the usb port decided it no longer liked any usb drives or to even charge a phone without dropping out constantly.

So, I would recommend the factory update or get a garmin device and go that way.

Just google open source map project. There is a lot of info. Basically it's like linux for map software. It's just people who update maps. They may be much better than Garmin in certain areas but they may be horrible in an area with fewer people participating. It seems to be geared more towards hikers. They have road maps as well. I do not recommend that route. I tried it and am not thrilled. I cannot delete whats in there and the maps are huge. We have limited space in our nav units.

I tried to load midwest and northeast. We have family in New York but live in the midwest. The northeast maps seems to work. When I search for anything it finds them there. But the major city we live near is not found. Not any specific place but the entire city comes up not found.

Our nav systems use Garmin software and it looks to be a much easier install vs open source.

• 1 year later...

I am not sure if this has been answered or not. I just got a 2015 Dodge Journey RT and I want to use the built in nav screen. I do not want to buy another map source. Is there a way to get maps put onto this year still? I have looked but I am seeing that after 2020 there is not a way to "update" I do not care if they are up to date for 2024 but i want to use the built in screen. Can i still do this? I know it may cost but i want to know what to expect before I go to get it done. 

Thank you

1 hour ago, ssteffen said:

I am not sure if this has been answered or not. I just got a 2015 Dodge Journey RT and I want to use the built in nav screen. I do not want to buy another map source. Is there a way to get maps put onto this year still? I have looked but I am seeing that after 2020 there is not a way to "update" I do not care if they are up to date for 2024 but i want to use the built in screen. Can i still do this? I know it may cost but i want to know what to expect before I go to get it done. 

Thank you

Not sure of what you are saying IS in your Journey. I surmise you have the 8.4" screen "infotainment" display. IF when powered on and there is NO NAV. ICON PRESENT. then you do NOT have the radio module that has the Nav. capability. It is NOT a function of the screen and likewise for the audio. there is a radio module buried in the center of the dash. 

So in "layman's" terms, if you want nav., you need a different radio module. And YES this subject has been discussed many times on the forum.

Edited by 5rebel9

I have navigation but it says no maps available so I need them loaded I was told. I then looked online and found that after 2020 the "updates" were not available anymore. I just want to be able to use the in car, provided map screen to navigate. I am currently using my PHONE  but i dont want to do that. 

1 hour ago, ssteffen said:

I have navigation but it says no maps available so I need them loaded I was told. I then looked online and found that after 2020 the "updates" were not available anymore. I just want to be able to use the in car, provided map screen to navigate. I am currently using my PHONE  but i dont want to do that. 

OK, I understand better what you're speaking of. Unfortunately none of the 3 Journey's I have came with NAV., I have wanted to upgrade our '13 rt to that with the proper radio module but cost of even a used unit is out of range for our budget. 

There are a number of postings all the same about NAV. map problems AND fixes to be found on the proper forum section, try looking for them. Since I don't have that option of NAV., I have no knowledge of getting/keeping that feature working to pass along to you.

Also like stated before about the child booster seat, try google and youtube on the subject.

I am trying to locate the proper forum sections but I have not located them as of yet. 

I also attempted to reach out to a salvage yard to locate a Journey that has the booster seat but there has been no luck yet. LOL. ill keep trying tho

On 3/12/2024 at 2:53 PM, ssteffen said:

Thank you

4 hours ago, ssteffen said:

I am trying to locate the proper forum sections but I have not located them as of yet. 

I also attempted to reach out to a salvage yard to locate a Journey that has the booster seat but there has been no luck yet. LOL. ill keep trying tho

You have been posting  to an existing topic that is already in the "proper" forum section. Go back  to the main section that this topic thread is on and read the ones that relate to your concern. You do NOT need to be 2015 year specific for this concern, the system is pretty much the same from 2016 and BACK.

Edited by 5rebel9