EVAP PURGE CONTROL VALVE 2019 Dodge Journey 2.4L

Hi guys, 

I got P0443 on my 2019 Journey 2.4L. 

I tested the two wires going to the purge valve,  they both shows 1.7volt while the vehicle was running.

One shows 1.5 and second wire is 0 when vehicle is not running.

My question is, does anyone knows where the feed wire is coming from?

I'm I getting the right voltage? I used power probe.

Can you help me check your purge valve volt? 

Do you have the purge valve wiring diagram? 

Any info will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

17 minutes ago, azontodance said:

Furthermore,  I had ABS issues, then I fixed it by replacing ABS sensor and the brake light switch sensor.

My brake light still come on. I checked all the brake bulbs and brake oil. The brake light flashes when the Parking brake is engaged. Stopped flashing when disengage. This brake light stays on and no fault code

Any info will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

A used purge valve I have measures 14.2 ohms  with a meter, it’s a functioning used valve.

I think valve is spring return with power only intermittently to have carbon canister release fumes into engine.  Probably works with battery voltage. I would think cold start up would trigger it on with 12 volts for  10-15 seconds.

If you have patience, the wiring diagram will be in this link. Not a friendly data base unfortunetly 

02 DODGE JOURNEY JC MANUAL (CHANGES APPLY FROM 2012 MODEL VERSION) 2.4l, 2.7l, 3.6l and Diesel.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zX8rfowBmx1KZpx7zNHQENgcxjFnDjuw/view?usp=sharing

Proper resistance is 28-36 ohms, at 70 F temperature. My valve was 45 F when it measured 14.2 ohms. 

The EVAP System and Purge Valve

As mentioned, the EVAP emissions system prevents fuel vapors from being released into the atmosphere. The heart of the system is the charcoal canister—a device that traps the fuel vapors when the engine is off.

The canister purge valve is typically a valve opened by a solenoid that is duty cycled by the ECM/PCM to allow fuel vapor stored in the canister to enter the intake manifold. The ECM/PCM knows when it is purging and there are “cells” in the algorithm map that factor in canister purging for air fuel mixture control purposes, because adding fuel vapor to the intake has an impact on fuel trim strategy. Cells where no purging is supposed to take place are flagged by the algorithm as “purge free” cells.

CarParts.com

The B+ side of the purge solenoid will typically be fed by a relay, and the ground side of the solenoid will be duty-cycled by the ECM/PCM as the algorithm dictates. (For a technical understanding of EVAP systems, you can read our discussion here.)

Once the engine is running and conditions are correct, the PCM commands the purge valve open to allow the vapors to enter the engine. The vapors are then burned during the normal combustion process. 

The PCM monitors the integrity of the purge valve and the valve’s control circuit. When the module detects an electrical fault with either the valve or the circuit, it will set code P0443.  

3 hours ago, John/Horace said:

A used purge valve I have measures 14.2 ohms  with a meter, it’s a functioning used valve.

I think valve is spring return with power only intermittently to have carbon canister release fumes into engine.  Probably works with battery voltage. I would think cold start up would trigger it on with 12 volts for  10-15 seconds.

If you have patience, the wiring diagram will be in this link. Not a friendly data base unfortunetly 

02 DODGE JOURNEY JC MANUAL (CHANGES APPLY FROM 2012 MODEL VERSION) 2.4l, 2.7l, 3.6l and Diesel.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zX8rfowBmx1KZpx7zNHQENgcxjFnDjuw/view?usp=sharing

Thank you very much. I really appreciate your help.

I guess i would start using the ohms meter to check my volts. I have always used power probe that gives me Voltage rather than ohms.

What is the conversion of 14.2 ohms in voltage? I mean, if you have 1.7 volt, what would that be in ohms

Voltage equals current (amps) multiplied by resistance(ohms). v=I x R

Would need to know amount of current the valve is drawing when under load. Meter can measure amps as well.

Resistance (ohms)  is used when testing a coil. The wire harness energizes a coil built into purge valve that moves valve and makes a click noise.   Set meter to ohm setting and measure across the two pins coming from the valve with plug removed. At room temp a good purge valve is 28-36ohms if your meter is decent. Even close to that should be fine. No measurement  found means bad coil. 

If your meter has a setting that beeps for continuity, use it. It tests power flow,  beeps with probes touching. Should beep if leads are connected across the two output pins on valve. No beep means bad coil, problem solved. 

5 hours ago, John/Horace said:

Would need to know amount of current the valve is drawing when under load. Meter can measure amps as well.

Resistance (ohms)  is used when testing a coil. The wire harness energizes a coil built into purge valve that moves valve and makes a click noise.   Set meter to ohm setting and measure across the two pins coming from the valve with plug removed. At room temp a good purge valve is 28-36ohms if your meter is decent. Even close to that should be fine. No measurement  found means bad coil. 

If your meter has a setting that beeps for continuity, use it. It tests power flow,  beeps with probes touching. Should beep if leads are connected across the two output pins on valve. No beep means bad coil, problem solved. 

5 hours ago, John/Horace said:

Thank you very much. You have really helped me to narrow down the power. I have ordered for a new Purge.