Disable ABS system

danyboy

Get ready, people are probably going to jump down your back about wanting to disable the ABS.  I myself am inclined to agree that it sometimes does more damage than helps.  But maybe only if you learned to drive before they started putting that corruption on cars.  (At the intersection where our street enters the next larger street, it is a steep descent down to the stop sign.  They also rarely clear the snow & ice away out of the right side of the lane, and so the right tires are on snow or ice, while the left tires are on mostly dry pavement.  What I've experienced is that under these conditions, the ABS prevents me from easily stopping the car there, because it continually disengages the brakes on the left side, the tires on which I am depending to be able to stop.  I learned to drive way before ABS, and I can do better than this automatic system in knowing how much brake to use, and when to let off for a bit to regain traction.)

But sorry that I do not know the answer to your question, for this vehicle.  I had an off-brand (non-MoPar) PU that I pulled the ABS fuse, and it disabled the cruise as well.  In my case, I didn't need that anyway, because we live in the country, and in a county with mostly narrow, curvey dirt roads that go up & down steep hills.  So not a place for cruise.

Edited by Neto

pull it and find out, BUT would be nice to find out if the lights would go off and if the cruise control would still work,,,,, also your cruise control wont work without the abs working correctly, i have been waiting on a oem ABS brake module has been around 2 months now and still not supposed to be in till jan 1 2023 if then ,,,i miss my cruise control the most............ P.S. mine is being covered under warranty if it ever comes reaches the dealership

Edited by 2late4u

13 hours ago, Neto said:

Get ready, people are probably going to jump down your back about wanting to disable the ABS.  I myself am inclined to agree that it sometimes does more damage than helps.  But maybe only if you learned to drive before they started putting that corruption on cars.  (At the intersection where our street enters the next larger street, it is a steep descent down to the stop sign.  They also rarely clear the snow & ice away out of the right side of the lane, and so the right tires are on snow or ice, while the left tires are on mostly dry pavement.  What I've experienced is that under these conditions, the ABS prevents me from easily stopping the car there, because it continually disengages the brakes on the left side, the tires on which I am depending to be able to stop.  I learned to drive way before ABS, and I can do better than this automatic system in knowing how much brake to use, and when to let off for a bit to regain traction.)

But sorry that I do not know the answer to your question, for this vehicle.  I had an off-brand (non-MoPar) PU that I pulled the ABS fuse, and it disabled the cruise as well.  In my case, I didn't need that anyway, because we live in the country, and in a county with mostly narrow, curvey dirt roads that go up & down steep hills.  So not a place for cruise.

I started to drive in the snow in the early 70s in the mountains and I still remember how to drive without the ABS system. Piss_s me off to see car company taking advantage of such a costly system to fix when it breaks down. More hassle than anything else for us . I would even go as far as qualifying this ABS system as pretty stupid when one of its components fails. At least if the cruise control could still work when the ABS light goes on. Anyhow, I am up to a point now where it's either disabling it or getting it fixed . My scanner won't explain  me any ABS code and appropriate scanner sure ain't cheap.

It’s the same with a lot of the nanny safety systems. Imbed it in the cars controls so you have to fix it.

I think any check engine light what so ever and cruise control is disabled.

There is also a relay under hood in main panel for abs. But fuse and/or relay to disable and it’s probably same result, no cruise and idiot light on dash. 2late4u had his disabled by the dealership. They would know the better way so car is driveable and not in limp mode. But if disabled, there will always be a light.

2 hours ago, danyboy said:

I started to drive in the snow in the early 70s in the mountains and I still remember how to drive without the ABS system. Piss_s me off to see car company taking advantage of such a costly system to fix when it breaks down. More hassle than anything else for us . I would even go as far as qualifying this ABS system as pretty stupid when one of its components fails. At least if the cruise control could still work when the ABS light goes on. Anyhow, I am up to a point now where it's either disabling it or getting it fixed . My scanner won't explain  me any ABS code and appropriate scanner sure ain't cheap.

when i found out mine was the abs brake module internal fault ,my step son used his harbor freight code reader cost him around $120 for it. he likes this unit fairly good............

ZURICH 

ZR13s OBD2 Code Reader with ABS/SRS/FIXASSIST

Edited by 2late4u

10 hours ago, John/Horace said:

It’s the same with a lot of the nanny safety systems. Imbed it in the cars controls so you have to fix it.

I think any check engine light what so ever and cruise control is disabled.

There is also a relay under hood in main panel for abs. But fuse and/or relay to disable and it’s probably same result, no cruise and idiot light on dash. 2late4u had his disabled by the dealership. They would know the better way so car is driveable and not in limp mode. But if disabled, there will always be a light.

Good to know, thanks

9 hours ago, 2late4u said:

when i found out mine was the abs brake module internal fault ,my step son used his harbor freight code reader cost him around $120 for it. he likes this unit fairly good............

ZURICH 

ZR13s OBD2 Code Reader with ABS/SRS/FIXASSIST

I'll check this one out, thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, danyboy said:

Problem solved. Found honest general mechanic garage, detected front left sensor, changed it and problem disappeared.

so it was a wheel speed sensor,, be thankful it wasnt your abs modual going bad that is some$$$$

Edited by 2late4u

11 hours ago, John/Horace said:

And with chip shortages , not even available. Other car companies having similar issues. ABS is nice to have in the snow and ice weather. Doesn’t help you stop, but keeps you in control more.

I'll say, sure makes a difference