lug nuts for wheel covers

Neto

I have been looking for a source to purchase more of the special flanged lug nuts for mounting the plastic wheel covers that are used on the steel wheels.  (There is an additional flange that holds the wheel cover in place.  There needs to be at least 3 on each wheel.  The other two holes on the wheel covers are larger, so that you can put on those two lugs before installing the wheel cover.  That is, the lugs pass through the plastic wheel cover.)

Any known sources?  I think I'm using the wrong search term, because nothing comes up that is similar to what is required.  All help much appreciated.

you probally need to go to your dealership for the lugs you are wanting  since you are using steel rims instead of the alloy rims that are more standard,,that said  when i bought some new solid lug nuts for my daughters patriot i needed lugs like you are talking about for her center cap but since they were standard on her patriot it was  easier to find on amazon

1 hour ago, 2late4u said:

you probally need to go to your dealership for the lugs you are wanting  since you are using steel rims instead of the alloy rims that are more standard,,that said  when i bought some new solid lug nuts for my daughters patriot i needed lugs like you are talking about for her center cap but since they were standard on her patriot it was  easier to find on amazon

Thanks.

I may just check with some area salvages, although there are none within 30 miles of me.  (I have some extras of the type for aluminum wheels of the same size & thread that I could give in exchange, so that the vehicles I take them from would still have the wheels mounted.)

Does any one know what the descriptive name is for this type of lug nut?  Is 6504672 the correct MoPar part number?  (In case someone hasn't seen them, or not recently, there is a flange that holds the wheel cover in place.  Two of the holes in the wheel covers are larger, to allow even these lug nuts to pass through. Normal lug nuts will just pass through all of the holes in the wheel covers.)

1 hour ago, Neto said:

Does any one know what the descriptive name is for this type of lug nut?  Is 6504672 the correct MoPar part number?  (In case someone hasn't seen them, or not recently, there is a flange that holds the wheel cover in place.  Two of the holes in the wheel covers are larger, to allow even these lug nuts to pass through. Normal lug nuts will just pass through all of the holes in the wheel covers.)

Raybestos logo
Lug Nut - 2009-2013 Dodge Journey - Raybestos 29869-05734532Click to Enlarge

(Read Reviews)

Lug Nut - 2009-2013 Dodge Journey - Raybestos 29869-05734532

Review Fitment Notes
Part Number: 29869-05734532
Brand: Raybestos
Notes: R-Line Wheel Lug Nut -- Flat Top Cap Nut; with Steel Wheels
Condition: New
Shipping Options: Ground
Must be purchased in quantities of 5     seen these on parts geek i believe it is what you are looking for BUT they are out of stock,, find out your thread size and goggle this decription Wheel Lug Nut -- Flat Top Cap Nut; with Steel Wheels    dealership would still be your best bet

rock auto looks like they have your NUTS check them out.......

009 DODGE JOURNEY 3.5L V6
Wheel : Lug Nut    
Related Parts    

PTC 98138 Info
Steel Wheels; Wheel Nut M12-1.50 Flattop

Do you need a Torque Wrench or Lug Nut Wrench?
  Part image  
$1.39 $1.39

8 hours ago, 2late4u said:

rock auto looks like they have your NUTS check them out.......

009 DODGE JOURNEY 3.5L V6
Wheel : Lug Nut    
Related Parts    

PTC 98138 Info
Steel Wheels; Wheel Nut M12-1.50 Flattop

Do you need a Torque Wrench or Lug Nut Wrench?
  Part image  
$1.39   $1.39

Thanks much.  That's the best price I've seen yet.  (Best I found came to $50.00 for 20, $1.50 ea. no shipping.)  This one comes out to just under 40 including shipping, for all 20, around $25.00 for my minimum of 12.  (3 per wheel.  That's how many are actually securing the wheel cover.)

• 2 weeks later...
21 hours ago, caroline said:

have tried in mopar online shop?

I think I did look there, but I will go with the site 2Late4U suggested.  I'm holding off yet, because I may offer the snow tires and wheels along with the 2009 Journey when it sells.  But I actually haven't advertised yet.  I don't like to sell stuff - having people try to get the price way down.  I'm used to keeping a vehicle until it's ready for the scrap yard, so I don't have experience in selling used cars.

Also, before the Journey went to the shop for an extended vacation, I had repainted the wheel covers, because the paint had flaked off almost entirely on some of them.  (I wonder if it's from going through the car wash.  I do it mostly in the winter, after driving in the salt, of which they use more than necessary around here.) Then I did a bit of "custom" hand painting on the wheel cover centers:

(Not perfect at all - I don't have the steady hand like I did back when I was only 1/3 my current age - even did a bit of pinstripping by hand back then.  The centers of these in stock form are all silver.  I was tempted to do them in red, but this matches the other emblems on the car.)

PXL_20221112_195634837- small.jpg

PXL_20221112_195628378- small.jpg

Edited by Neto

VERY NICE paint work on those hubcaps! My compliments

As for getting those "special lugnuts for them, YES Rock Auto is hard to beat even with some of the shipping prices they get roped into having to pass along with the parts cost. I use them exclusively for all my cars when able to "foresee" parts needs rather than going to the auto parts "box stores".

AND those lug nuts are NOT solely for the Journeys, they are the SAME ones our old 04 NEON used for hubcaps. In fact I have a bunch of them to match up to the set of rims and "caps"that I still have for it.

19 minutes ago, 5rebel9 said:

VERY NICE paint work on those hubcaps! My compliments

As for getting those "special lugnuts for them, YES Rock Auto is hard to beat even with some of the shipping prices they get roped into having to pass along with the parts cost. I use them exclusively for all my cars when able to "foresee" parts needs rather than going to the auto parts "box stores".

AND those lug nuts are NOT solely for the Journeys, they are the SAME ones our old 04 NEON used for hubcaps. In fact I have a bunch of them to match up to the set of rims and "caps"that I still have for it.

Do you still have an old Neon?  If anyone is interested, I have the bumper skin for a 98 model - free for anyone who can use it.  (That was the last year for that generation, correct?)  Also have 4 14" rims off of that same car.  (Had two sets, one with snow tires.  The tires were used on another vehicle, but still have the wheels.  Going to have to start getting rid of some things.  My wife already thinks I'm a pack rat, and "hoarder" is the next in line....)  Also have a (white) right front fender for that 98. 

[The deal was that we bought that car for our daughter to get to & from school.  Then someone hit her, and although the other insurance company totaled it, being an older vehicle it wasn't badly damaged at all.  I was going to fix it, but then after it left her sitting once time, she didn't trust it anymore.  Then after I bought this bumper skin I was talking about, I found out that although I had the VIN info off of the salvage car I got the parts from, there was no VIN tag on the bumper, and after reading what I'd have to do ti get a title again, I got "scared" that they'd confiscate the car, as it says in the state handbook.  So I let the insurance company take it anyway.  A friend who rebuilds newer salvage cars later told me they very seldom actually investigate the replacement parts, and especially not on one that old, but it was long gone by then.]

Sadly NO, replaced by the '11 DJ for him 3 years ago now. BUT right after that his girlfriend found another 04 Neon with alloys, so we let her use those rims (with snows on them) for her car. She JUST traded it in for a '19 Jeep Comanche 2 weeks ago.

It also sounds like you and I are of the same mind about cars and "pack ratting" parts for them!   ...   LOL    :)

Another question:  What do you all think of running spacers on the front wheels?

(There is a bit of caliper interference, a bit less than 1/4".  The thinnest spacers are 5mm.  But this would push the wheel out far enough that the wheel would no longer engage the flange on the hub.  (So in my thinking, that would make it "lug bearing", not "hub bearing".  Not crazy about doing this.)

20 hours ago, Neto said:

Another question:  What do you all think of running spacers on the front wheels?

(There is a bit of caliper interference, a bit less than 1/4".  The thinnest spacers are 5mm.  But this would push the wheel out far enough that the wheel would no longer engage the flange on the hub.  (So in my thinking, that would make it "lug bearing", not "hub bearing".  Not crazy about doing this.)

What year DJ and what are these steel rims from (and model). 

On both our '11 and '14 the alloys are a little close with stock '17's  

Are your rims '16" steels?

I can't DEFINITIVELY say spacers and thickness will "fix you up". but with clean and smooth rotor hat and rim mount centers that 5 mm spacers will be ok to stay in place and not have loosening problems. I've only run one set of BP adapters on one car (of very many) in all my driving years and that was on a '72 VW Beetle.

48 minutes ago, 5rebel9 said:

What year DJ and what are these steel rims from (and model). 

On both our '11 and '14 the alloys are a little close with stock '17's  

Are your rims '16" steels?

I can't DEFINITIVELY say spacers and thickness will "fix you up". but with clean and smooth rotor hat and rim mount centers that 5 mm spacers will be ok to stay in place and not have loosening problems. I've only run one set of BP adapters on one car (of very many) in all my driving years and that was on a '72 VW Beetle.

Sorry about this, but I drifted off of the original topic, and onto an issue with a non-MoPar vehicle.  As a dyed-in-the-wool MoPar guy it hurts me to admit this, but we now own a 2019 Honda CR-V that was to replace the Journey.  (My Dad, who is gone now for almost 2 years, DID tell me once that he wouldn't disown me if we got a certain other make, the one that starts with an "F"....  That's what my wife's dad always had, with a few exceptions.)  I say "was to replace" because I haven't sold the Journey yet - I simply do not know how to sell a vehicle.  (I don't mean that in the technical sense, but more like "I cannot bring myself to part with it, other than through its eventual demise, probably at the hands of the "Salt Devil".  And my younger brother has the same "illness", and incidentally that's where my first car, a 62 Chrysler Newport, still sits, in the pasture behind his house.)

So this 5th Gen 2019 Honda CR-V EX-L came with 18" alloy wheels.  (Apparently none of that year's models came with steel wheels, and I cannot find any after-market steel wheels that say that they will fit this vehicle.  There seems to have been a design change in the middle of this generation, after the 2017 model.)  So the wheels I ended up with for the Blizzaks are 17" alloy OEM Honda wheels of uncertain year.  My best guess is that they are probably from 4th Gen Honda CR-Vs.  Honda talks in metric nonsense of course, but the lug pattern on these wheels is actually 5x4.5, the same as the 1993 2nd Gen Chrysler Town & Country on which I conducted a "mercy-killing" when it became evident that it was destined to a slow death at the hands of the aforementioned "Salt Devil".  Those wheels would probably fit without the caliper interference on the face area, but they are 15s, and the only tire I can find that is a close match to the 235/60R18 is a 235/65R17.  (Two additional tire rotations per mile.)

I read an article on Summit Racing about the hub-centric vs lug-centric controversy, where the author states that the hub plays no part in supporting the weight of the vehicle during operation.  (He says that it is friction alone, regardless of the wheel/hub design.)  Then a woman who claims to be qualified to speak on the matter wrote a long response, supporting the theory I had always thought to be correct, that the hub DOES support the wheel, unless it is designed as lug-centric.  (I have a small aluminum trailer (4x8, open box) with lug-centric hubs and wheels, and the lug bolts are of a larger diameter, which makes sense if they are depended on to support the weight, not the hub's machined outer surface. 

I will send a text message to the seller of the alloys, and see if he can tell me what vehicle these wheels came from.  (I didn't personally pick them up - my son-in-law needed to go down to that area, some 2 1/2 hours south of us, so I asked him to make the transaction.)

EDIT: My guess is that the 17" Honda alloy wheels would fit the 2017 and earlier CR-Vs, but I don't have one to test it on.

Edited by Neto
additional comment

My uncle up in Indiana worked at Ford motor company as a Boilermaker  and he Always bought just Fords and actually told his kids when they turned 16 that they could buy any vehicle they wanted BUT if it wasnt a Ford they couldn't park it in his driveway or yard, they would have to park it on the road in their neighborhood and since that wasnt allowed up there, they all drove fords.............To be honest i worked 30 yrs for Chrysler and during that time i only bought 1 new ford and the rest were always Dodge vehicles as well

Edited by 2late4u

3 hours ago, 2late4u said:

My uncle up in Indiana worked at Ford motor company as a Boilermaker  and he Always bought just Fords and actually told his kids when they turned 16 that they could buy any vehicle they wanted BUT if it wasnt a Ford they couldn't park it in his driveway or yard, they would have to park it on the road in their neighborhood and since that wasnt allowed up there, they all drove fords.............To be honest i worked 30 yrs for Chrysler and during that time i only bought 1 new ford and the rest were always Dodge vehicles as well

My dad was a service department parts guy (that is, he served the mechanics, not the public) his whole life, and his work vehicle was almost always one made by the manufacturer serviced by the dealership where he worked.  But he never worked at any Ford place.  Chrysler Plymouth Dodge DeSoto starting out, a short stint at Pontiac, then Rambler.  The last place was 23 years at Oldsmobile.  He had a Rambler, but wasn't at Pontiac very long at all.

His Dad was a Ford guy, although he only ever owned 4 cars his whole life.  1925 Model T, 39 sedan, 49 sedan, and a 61, all Fords.

Edited by Neto