Some good and some bad...

Some good and some bad...

Went on a trip that was a little over 500 miles. DJ did great for the most part. 

- Unbelievably, I got 29 MPG, which is the best I've ever gotten. 

- On my way up the CEL came on when the temperature got to under 30 degrees. Apparently I need a new thermostat... not a big deal, I'll change it myself. CEL got reset. 

- The bad...I went through a car wash and as I drove off, down a busy street, the car just shut down while doing 30 MPH. I managed to put it in neutral and coast to a stop (brakes were hard 'AF'). Put it in park pressed the brakes, pushed the start button and it started right up...WTF? Got to my location, hung out for a couple hours, then got back on the road. Drove 3 blocks and it completely shut off again. This time I shifted to neutral and hit the start button while moving and it started right up. No CEL and no stall at all. Freaked the hell out of me because I was getting ready to hit the road back home. It was late in the day so nothing was open and of course my tools are at home. Decided to take off anyways worried it would die going through the mountain roads, but it made it home with no issues. 

I've read a couple of similar issues, but none had a solution. This has happened once before, like 3 years ago, while I was in the car wash. Has anyone seen a solution to this issue? Could something be getting wet and shorting out? Car runs great otherwise, but not comfortable with it just dying on me.

20221009_140238.jpg

There are a number of different possibilities as to just what part is affected by going thru a car wash, therefore hard to offer a good pinpoint answer.

BUT I'd be strongly looking at the air filter for getting "soaked" with water and thus shutting off needed air for engine to run. Next THOUGHT would be electrical (computer/sensor) wiring getting wet and temporarily shorting out.

Good luck and let us know if YOU find your cause of the "shutdown.