Fluid checks

Journey 1

Hello,

2018 Dodge Journey here…. Do I check the power steering fluid hot or cold or running or not? I always thought cold. Also I always thought check level  cold on engine oil, but the dipstick says check hot? Also the coolant tank … should it be between min. and max. when cold or hot ? My manual doesn’t not mention anything. Thanks 

welcome to the group,first  engine off and check your power steering  hot or warm no real big difference as long as it is between  the marks.... also the coolant should not go below the mim when cold  and not above the max when hot so mid level is best you need room for coolant so when the rad cap lets the coolant flow to the reservoir tank after getting hot and then sipion back when it is cooling off... Only check you do with the eng running and in park on level ground is the transmission level and as we dont have a dip stick with that you have to buy one or go on youtube and watch a video on how to mark your oil dip stick with a file to show where that fluid level should be.....P.S. i have always have  filled all the brake fluid, coolant ,and power steering levels around 3/4 full above the min  level as the dealerships /factory tend to fill to the bare minimum

Edited by 2late4u

30 minutes ago, 2late4u said:

welcome to the group,first  engine off and check your power steering  hot or warm no real big difference as long as it is between  the marks.... also the coolant should not go below the mim when cold  and not above the max when hot so mid level is best you need room for coolant so when the rad cap lets the coolant flow to the reservoir tank after getting hot and then sipion back when it is cooling off... Only check you do with the eng running and in park on level ground is the transmission level and as we dont have a dip stick with that you have to buy one or go on youtube and watch a video on how to mark your oil dip stick with a file to show where that fluid level should be.....P.S. i have always have  filled all the brake fluid, coolant ,and power steering levels around 3/4 full above the min  level as the dealerships /factory tend to fill to the bare minimum

Thanks…. My transmission has a dipstick though. I guess check after a good drive to see if it’s between he two hot oil marks ? Yeah you are correct that they seem to only fill to minimum 

2 hours ago, 2late4u said:

you must have the 2.4 eng with the 4 spd trans, they might have the trans dip stick, as the 3.6 eng with the  6spd trans doesnt come with one..either way great to have you here and hope many carefree miles on journey

Yeah 2.4L…. My 5.7 hemi doesn’t have a transmission dipstick either 

My 5.7 does in a 2015 Ram 1500.   You must have a Durango suv. If tranny has no leaks and you are original owner, just measure what you get out and add exactly same amount. Dorman makes a dipstick for checking based on eng temp, it doesn’t stay in place, just for checking.p level.