Won't start

DROSE89

I have a 2012 dodge journey sxt. My display wont come on to inform to push brake to start vehicle. I thought it was a battery. I just bought a brand new battery and the display wont cone on for me to press brake to start. It will work whenever it wants to. It went to the point to where my radio said to put vehicle to run and wait for vin to be verified. And the next day it would be fine and start up. Then sitting at idle the lightning bolt would show for throttle body then my motor would stall and then finally die. And then the display wouldn't show to press brake to start. I've tested all voltage tested for ground checked all fuses. It was clicking in my fuse box under the hood so I was thinking a bad relay but that wasn't the issue I am still stumped on this scenario if anyone could help I would appreciate it.

Sounds like a weird problem. Any issues like jump starting car precede this event ?

Focus on trouble shooting first, not throwing parts at it.
I would be looking at main power fuse for whole car as a start. There is a special  current sensor on the negative battery terminal, it it’s zapped would also have a lot of impact. Lightning bolt is not just throttle problem, it’s major electrical fault problem. Start unplugging and resetting plugs on cluster and other main power feeds. Check for continuity on every fuse you can, looking closer at dash feed items.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/dodge,2014,journey,3.6l+v6,3300354,electrical,battery+temperature+sensor,10478

D223E44A-E77C-4AFF-8CAC-4351A2BFB5F2.jpeg.e4e0b8cd642efab4db2e6fa9a63e5c31.jpeg

Edited by John/Horace

I replaced the terminals and I replaced all of the relays and it seemed to fix the issue. Until I was driving and then all of my guages shit off and it threw a No Bus  code on my display. It would drive fine but then the wipers wouldn't shut off and no turn signals or head lights. I then went through and found my CAN splice and diagnosed a problem with one of the modules. I went through and found the wire was shorted and I changed that wire and ground it and it's been good so far. 

1 hour ago, DROSE89 said:

I replaced the terminals and I replaced all of the relays and it seemed to fix the issue. Until I was driving and then all of my guages shit off and it threw a No Bus  code on my display. It would drive fine but then the wipers wouldn't shut off and no turn signals or head lights. I then went through and found my CAN splice and diagnosed a problem with one of the modules. I went through and found the wire was shorted and I changed that wire and ground it and it's been good so far. 

you say you replaced your terminals so did you replace the one with the battery temp connector as it is a special connector as john said?

Glad you got it fixed.  You obviously have serious electrical skills. The charging system on the car is pretty sophisticated. If the alternator stops charging and the battery gets low. There is a power conservation sequence to maximize how far you can drive with out damaging car. Electric engine cooling fans are made a priority along with ecm and a few other critical functions.

The car radio and heated seats and other frivolous stuff is gradually turned off.

The current sensor on negative terminal is possibly part of the charging system monitoring, might be better to keep it functional.

The bad can bus splice location would be very helpful for the site;  could be an engineering flaw. Pic or verbal description of location would be great. Cheers.

I have loved messing with electrical systems. I like to know how things work and why they work. Just not when someone else engineers a system that 1 wire or 1 ground could cause a catastrophe. And I'll send pics for the forum. I've seen numerous posts about electrical problems with journeys. It's not a task you want to do by yourself unless you have the time patience and knowledge of why and how this is working and not working.