3.6L Intermittent Misfire

Rina5677

I have a 2012 dodge journey with the 3.6L engine. 210xxxkms. Was running rough - shaking at idle. Just did it once, no check engine light, so I decided to do an oil change (new air filter included) and change the spark plugs (I am a new owner of this car so not sure when they were done last. They did need it!) . A mentor recommended doing the intake manifold gaskets as well. So did all that. Gapped plugs. Ran good for a bit but then check engine light came on with code p0304- cylinder 4 misfire. Tried seafoam and cleared the code. Ran good for a bit again! Came back, same code. So I exchanged the coil pack from cylinder 4 with the one from cylinder 2 (cleared code again). Again, Ran good for a but but then the rough idle and check engine light come back - now showing a p0300- multiple cylinder misfire. Unsure of next step. Move the coil pack again? Try dielectric grease? Compression test? $250 for all new coil packs. $50 for a cam position sensor which also apparently can cause the intermittent misfire? Thoughts appreciated. Also noted: cylinder 6 old spark plug had oil on the threads when I changed it. 

Cylinder misfire is usually plug or coil  occasionally bad injector. Even low compression. Carbon build up from driving with a bad spark plug another possibility.

Havent heard of cam sensor causing misfire; crank sensor more likely to do that. 
Some ignition coil electrical grease on plug coil boots is always good during assembly. If coil was arcing you would have seen damage on the rubber cop boot.

In 2012 there was some bad cylinder heads that caused problems. Some where changed in warranty. Compression test would show that. How is the glycol, still nice and clear, no bubbles when running with cap off for a minute or so.

Last night I decided to do the coil packs (was going to do a compression test but don't have the correct adapter for the threads). So I cleared the codes and installed all the cp's with a bit of dielectric grease on spark plug ends and in the electrical connection to the packs. Went good. This morning a hard start though and then running rough again - code p0304 has returned ? also, I was talking to multiple chrysler dealerships yesterday and called FCA direct - my Vin does apply to the micro cracks in the left head that can cause intermittent misfire ?? of course the extended warranty expired in December 2021 and there is nothing they can do ???????

• 1 year later...

@Rina5677 just to end my thread - it was a broken valve spring. I took the left head off and took it into a machine shop. Once re-installed she ran great.

Until a pedestrian ran out in traffic and I slid on ice into the car in front of me - written right off ??