Front End Growling / Grinding.

For over a year I've had this noise in my 2015 Dodge Journey 3.6 AWD.   It seemed to begin* when I installed new tires last Fall.  The new tires I installed, I did so in pairs as I couldn't afford all 4 at the same time.  The difference in the treads however was enough to cause some noticable noise in what I concluded was the transfer case.

When I got the other tires on, a couple weeks later, the noise subsided mostly.  But over time has crept up in amplitude and is now loud again.

I've tried to research how to get into the front 'diff' but it seems to be part of the transaxle / transmission.  Which makes me sad.

The transmission fluid was changed out about 2 months ago, and aside from it being the original fluid and showing it's age, it wasn't burnt of indicative of heavy wear inside the transmission.  I am unsure where or how the gearbox that powers the front axles and the drive shaft gets it's lubricant from, that that is what I am hoping to check.

I've replaced the front axle shafts.   The Right side one I replaced 2 years ago as that was making a similar noise on the Right, and that did solve the issue at the time.   I replaced the Left one this past weekend, and the noise did decrease slightly, but there is still a noise there.   Even tho the wheel bearings seem solid, I purchased new bearings, and plan on doing those in the coming weeks.  *Note:  I mentioned it seemed to begin last Fall.  But like I said here, the sound was similar to the front axle sound I experienced 2 years ago, which upon replacing that CV Axle shaft on the right side, it fixed it.

The noise is consistent with the speed of the vehicle, and doesn't change if the vehicle is shifted into neutral while rolling.  Turning and breaking don't seem to have an effect on the noise either.   The noise isn't noticable until you are going about 25mph+.

Should I fear the worst, and start saving for a new transmission?  Or what? :P

Most likely that with just over 100k miles is that front wheel bearings are starting to gobad. you say you replaced axle/joint shaft(s), but did you use a torque wrench and tighten the axle nuts to 118 ft/lbs or just guesstimate? Over/under tightened axle nut will cause premature wear of the wheel bearings.

The wheel bearings are quite rusty and while they don't wobble, they do not spin as freely as I'd expect, so maybe them.  The vehicle surpassed 100,000 miles earlier this year, so that is ideally the case and my new bearings are on the way.

The axle nut specs I saw said 150ft/lb which is what I tightened them to.   For a 2015 Dodge Journey 3.6L AWD, is it actually 118 ft/lb?

8 minutes ago, Scajaquada said:

The wheel bearings are quite rusty and while they don't wobble, they do not spin as freely as I'd expect, so maybe them.  The vehicle surpassed 100,000 miles earlier this year, so that is ideally the case and my new bearings are on the way.

The axle nut specs I saw said 150ft/lb which is what I tightened them to.   For a 2015 Dodge Journey 3.6L AWD, is it actually 118 ft/lb?

Just did the RF bearing last week and the spec was 118. I'd doubt that spec has changed but always best to ensure spec from a relible source (and be sure of make/model application). Some sites give a "range or general torque value that may not be accurate. I did not mean to imply you used a wrong value, but meant as a possibility.

45 minutes ago, 5rebel9 said:

Just did the RF bearing last week and the spec was 118. I'd doubt that spec has changed but always best to ensure spec from a relible source (and be sure of make/model application). Some sites give a "range or general torque value that may not be accurate. I did not mean to imply you used a wrong value, but meant as a possibility.

Yes I should have mentioned I did that on our 2011 3.6AWD...Forgot that I now also have a '14 AWD

this past Feb. I also had to replace the both front wheel bearings on my '10 Buick Lucerne. They were fairly new when I bought the car in August....BUT the "tech" WAY OVERTIGHTENED the axle nuts which spec'd for 108 ft/lbs. Had to use an 8'pipe over long handled 1/2" drive breaker bar, and thought the breaker bar would snap befoire the nut came loose of it's torque!

Edited by 5rebel9