Cooling Temperature

GeekDad

I noticed last week that my temperature gauge on my 2015 Dgdge Journey was running a little hotter than normal (from 3/8" to about 1/2"). I put the vehicle monitor in the dash om and I noticed it was running around 215°F and the radiator fan wasn't spinning.  My OBDII scanner gives me the same (within ±1-2°) reading. I looked up the thermostat and it is rated for 180°F.  I noticed I can FORCE the fan on by removing the 'Low Pwr' fan relay (which results in a P0480 MIL) which engages the 'High Pwr' relay.  When I do so, the temperature runs around 185°F.  I just looked now in the driveway and the 'Low Pwr' fan does come on at 220°F and then shuts off at 215°F. Can someone give me a sanity check that other Journeys typically run at 215-220°F and my 'gauge' (now a stepper motor) just reads slightly more?

Thanks!

Temperature.jpg

IF yours is the V6 motor model, the thermostat begins to open (allow circulation) at 203^. SO theoretically, yes it is normal to see temps in this range. By your picture, you are also due for a coolant drain and refill with new coolant. Replacing the Thermostat would also be a good step also due to age and miles.

Edited by 5rebel9

does the rad fan click on when you turn your ac on it should no matter what the temperature is  i just replaced my thermostat at around 125 k ,also i had already had the coolant serviced at 97 k at the dealership when i had my plugs changed and transmission serviced as well,,,yes it was a large bill but i have the extended warranty so its on file at the dealership that i had it done,,,anyways after putting in the new thermostat which ids so simple on the 3.6 a grade school kid can do it and then bleed the air out as well sooo easy,i watched the gage and the fan will click on somewhere around 208 and will get up to 212-215 at the most and then always goes back down to 200,,,but as i said it normally runs 200-210  at the most...change your t sat, USE the correct coolant not what the auto store says works get the mopar yes it is a lot more $$$ then  bleed the system ( check out youtube for videos on how to replace and bleed the system) after changing it out and then keep a close eye on it to see what happens

also when your driving check the different readouts on your other gages to see where they read as well for future info also the coolant gage is showing green and that is good if it gets to high it goes yellow from what i have been told have never seen mine turn yellow

The AC does force the fan on, but there are Low Pwr and High Pwr fan relays.  The Low Pwr goes through a ballast resistor (I measured 0.7 ohm).  I the 4-pin relays were in 'backwards' which made me crazy for about 10 minutes.  They can go in both ways as the coil is on opposing corners and the COM/NO pole are one the other corners.  Whoever installed them put them in 'backwards' according the the wiring diagram.