Transmission side housing

JRC

Hello:  While working on replacing the power steering cooler (leaking)  I notice the transmission side plate housing is very rusty.

I think it need to be replace before it starts leaking.

Have anyone done this?

Will I be able to replace the side housing without removing the engine/transmission.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

The bottom and side pans are quite thick material. If you search here, no one on this site it seems have had to replace the side/ front covers. 

You could likely sand the metal, put a few coats of primer and then a top coat or two. I’ve done that to the engine oil pan on my wife’s 3.6. They get really rusty and you could lose your engine if you miss the leak for too long.

Rockauto, the biggest on line site  has no listing , only for the bottom pan. They seem to list most volume failure items; I don’t have any affiliation with them, just a customer.

If you don’t have time or have garage access, you could take two fingers of grease and smear a very thin film over the entire pan service. Rub it in really well. Wipe off as much loose paint and dirt as you can before starting. Or buy a can of generic automotive rust control spray and use it. They are environmentally friendly, usually wool oil and other biodegradable stuff. Spray your new power steering cooler lines as well. You must be in the rust belt, like I am. I wouldn’t attempt to replace the cover, my 2 cents.

Edited by John/Horace

Thank you for your reply.   Yes is live in an area where salt is used on roads in winter.  The side housing is pitted and rusted quite badly neat the bottom. I was going to scrape the chunks of metal off and paint but was afraid to as it is pitted so bad.  Thought I might poke a hole and have a leak.  I just sprayed oil on it for now. Once I get the power steering leak repaired and running Ill work on it next.