speed odometer not working

Hi, I have a 2011 Dodge Journey i am having problems with the speed odometer not working. the speed odometer stays at 0 then it will flicker up and down really fast then goes back to 0 and it makes the car jerk when this happens.  I get a code PO501 speed senor A. I replaced the Speed input and output sensors and still have the same problem and still get code PO501. i was wondering if anyone else is having this problem or if someone could help with this problem. Thank You for your time 

Edited by purpersr

16 minutes ago, purpersr said:

Hi, I have a 2011 Dodge Journey i am having problems with the speed odometer not working. the speed odometer stays at 0 then it will flicker up and down really fast then goes back to 0 and it makes the car jerk when this happens.  I get a code PO501 speed senor A. I replaced the Speed input and output sensors and still have the same problem and still get code PO501. i was wondering if anyone else is having this problem or if someone could help with this problem. Thank You for your time 

What engine and trans(4 or 6 sp) 

You replaced input and output sensors already, did you inspect the harness connections and wires for them? Code is for erratic/no signal, so you need to check the wires for good connection, and use a bit of dielectric grease in them.

What can cause a speedometer to stop working?

The most common causes of a speedometer that stopped working include are a faulty speed sensor, a broken gear on the speedometer, damaged wiring, or a faulty engine control unit.Jul 11, 2016

18 hours ago, 5rebel9 said:

You replaced input and output sensors already, did you inspect the harness connections and wires for them? Code is for erratic/no signal, so you need to check the wires for good connection, and use a bit of dielectric grease in them.

No I did not check the harness connections or wires. I will clean the connections and inspect the wires. I will let you know what  I find I appreciate your time and help

22 hours ago, 5rebel9 said:

I checked all the connections on the transmission harness and all the connecters look good. so i did a continuity test on all the wires for the transmission harness I believe I have a broken wire in the harness for the output speed senor , I do not get any continuity from one of the wires but all the other wires in the transmission harness passed the continuity test. i ordered a new OEM Transmission Harness. i will let you know if this fixes my problem Thanks again for you help

• 2 years later...
9 hours ago, Patoriku said:

Hello brother, I got the same problem with the same model here. Any update on your vehicle? 

he never posted back,so we assume that replacing the harness fixed his problem,it would have been nice of people to report back on the their fixes to their problems on here