2017 Dodge Journey, voltage regulator??

Hey all, 

currently trying to sort out my dads dodge.

specs;

2017 Dodge Journey V6

issues; 

- battery drains when not in use.

- alternator was burnt out. (Replaced)

- drawing high voltage 14.7(ish) Volts when idling.

- Car will die mid drive (happened twice so far)

seems to be a major power drain somewhere. But it doesn’t explain why it’s pulling high voltage. 

we’ve had the the car checked over at a mechanic. They thought the issue was the alternator. Had it refurbished (parts had shown high wear)

still the issue persists. Next step is to buy a new battery (old battery was only 8 months old.)

would I be correct to assume that the voltage regulator has gone bad? Do these cars even have a voltage regulator??

any help would be highly appreciated!!!!

Welcome to the site. The voltage regulator is integrated into the alternator. So the new/rebuilt alternator would have changed it probably.

How much voltage was old alternator putting out?  Battery can take over charging for a short time, I wouldn’t change it yet unless it’s not holding a charge.

A bad alternator can cause a battery to go flat by itself. But more likely there is something drawing power over night.

You could remove one fuse at a time and see if amperage draw can be isolated to one circuit only. Top of fuse has two small points to measure power on circuit as well. Meter needs to be set to milli amp setting, internal meter fuse usually 10 amps and easy to zap. If you remove battery post and carefully measure amp draw for whole system it should be approx 100 mill amps after 15 mins sitting.

- John 

thanks for that! I’ll have a look this afternoon.

I cannot remember the old alternators measurements unfortunately. But after inspecting the parts that were referb’d. I noticed there were some warn bits and abit if burn marks.

in terms of the voltage reading. 14.7V is the average as it fluctuates between 14.2V and sometimes 14.9V

current/draw readings come directly from the OBDII port via a HUD

were currently looking at getting the battery replaced. As we fell the old alternator had killed it.

I’ll get into doing a drain test. Thanks for the advice.

also had herd about the Bluetooth causing it to drain.