P2099 & p0302

Bigdogmooney

Hello all, hopefully someone here is able to help me. Earlier this month my car threw a p0299 after Auto starting multiple times. While driving on my way home it went off. A few days later it came on again and lasted a few days before turning off. Tonight while driving I got the p0302 and instantly lost rpm, along with p0299 downstream fuel trim system to rich. 

Last year I had throttle body, pcm, and a wire replaced. This year somehow got metal in my transmission and had it rebuilt. It's an 18 gt with 105k.

Could be but maybe it's not but every since I started using a gas station by house almost exclusively is when it started. As a realist I dunno if that's an actual cause or not.

These codes and title sound familiar... Did you post of this once before?

IF SO , you just kept driving it or did you do anything about it?

P0302 is misfire on cyl.#2. Depending on which motor(2,4 or 3.6) you are due for spark plugs. Could be a number of other possibilities related to getting power to that plug to "fire". 

The fuel injector for # 2 cyl. may also be sticking and dumping fuel rather than spraying.

The P0299 is probably a faulty downstream O2 sensor.

• 2 weeks later...

They all looked the same none more or worse. Some days it'll reset after one start up and turn off. Other days it takes a run through of a few tank fills to turn off. It'll also turn off and on during the same tank as well.

I still have the original battery in it as well so thought I should probably change it. I just find it odd that for 2 weeks off and on it's been throwing the same exact codes and the original turned off.

Sounds to me like a different problem altogether about the dome light. UNLESS you are having an electrical draw that's killing the battery. LOW battery state can cause a heap of engine drivability concerns.

What kind of driving are you doing with the car? Short "hops" or more than 10 miles 1 way?

I drive Uber, I recently got a wiring issue fixed last year. The reason I say the battery is because it's never been changed since I've owned the car. In another post which o felt was unrelated; their car kept throwing engine codes and when the battery was replaced it stopped.

But yes when the car completely shuts down and you hear the whirling sound, they won't come on unless I got the hazards or hit acc

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Bigdogmooney said:

I changed the coil pack but I'm still having the same problem, while driving I got a real ruff idle until acceleration and then it would start again and shake the entire car. This is the second time it's happened. It is still the same code BTW

Sad to hear the problem persists.  Please post exact P codes so members can "investigate" possibilities.

There was another with these same codes, as I asked you before, that I'm pretty sure posted back that an intake valve seat in the head had fallen out of place. BIG job for repair. HOWEVER, "in depth" diagnosis" with a borescope thru the spark plug hole should be done to confirm(along with full electrical diagnosis to determine if computer/wiring to that cyl. is working. Along with taking out the downstream sensor and ohm's testing it. On a side note of O2 sensors, 100k miles is suggested replacement time for ALL O2 sensors. I had a bank 1 upstream  acting up with the P0420 code (cat efficiency) and replacing all sensors fixed it and brought live data reading fuel trims back to proper and equal readings. 

Good luck and keep us posted!

I replaced the camshaft sensor since that was my original code for bank 2 and I still seem to feel a misfire. The same code persist p0302. In addition I have replaced all Sparks the coil pack to that particular spark. The rpm will not stay steady. Also when I took it to the shop for a diagnostic they said I wasn't getting fire to the cylinder

Edited by Bigdogmooney

Who changed the plugs. We’re the intake manifold gaskets replaced during the sequence. Extra air coming in from bad gasket can cause a code like this. It’s low mileage, but gasket can get pinched or damaged.

A compression test would be useful on this cylinder. Wet test and leak down. Valve seat issue etc can cause misfire.

injector firing needs a node light, although screw driver against housing and listening for clicking from activation can be done.

5 hours ago, John/Horace said:

I changed the plugs after I took it to a shop and all they said was that cylinder 2 didn't have any fire, so I changed all the plugs. The original p0299 eventually turned off and has not returned, prior to me going and getting a diagnostic. For a while it would run a tank and turn off for a tank. Now it just stays on, however the other day it turned itself off for a quick trip and returned. I did not change gaskets but did place a coil into that cylinder from 4 and it persist.i just did the screw driver test and I hear a steady clicking

With plug change it’s safer to change these gaskets out. They get compressed and don’t always seal as well on reuse, not pricy.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/dodge,2018,journey,3.6l+v6,3440326,engine,intake+manifold+gasket,5424

If changing them out, good opportunity to do a compression test on #2. Remove fuel pump relay and proper test is all plugs removed.  To do accurately can be finicky if you haven’t done one before. I hope it’s not a valve/cylinder head issue, but it’s possible.

Injectors seldom go in my experience, clicking is good..means energizing so signal from ecm is getting there. 

The two upstream O2 sensors are critical for fuel mix and affect drive ability and fuel economy. Down stream confirm cats are working properly, so more emissions related. Misfire from unburnt  fuel could cause this code. Some people automatically change upstream as a wear item at around 100k without waiting for failure codes.  Fuel savings add up quick. NTK are same as oem sensor. I would confirm compression and swap intake gaskets first and see if goes away. Your ☎️.

Edited by John/Horace

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Bigdogmooney said:

A shop said that it had low compression in that cylinder and that it might be more suitable for the dealer so, now I'm going to be waiting another week out of work to get there until they diagnose it themselves

Sorry to hear that. But you did about all that was possible without engine disassembly. Yup low compression will cause misfires, I hope it is just something in the cylinder head and not deeper.

Good Luck and keep us posted!

• 4 weeks later...

The last place I went to recommended replace the whole cylinder head or try to find a shop that would do just a valve job. Also their might be an electrical issue seeing how I bought a completely new battery and it drained during the week and a half they had it that it wouldn't jump. I just called the bank and told them come get it.

#problem unsolved

6 hours ago, Bigdogmooney said:

The last place I went to recommended replace the whole cylinder head or try to find a shop that would do just a valve job. Also their might be an electrical issue seeing how I bought a completely new battery and it drained during the week and a half they had it that it wouldn't jump. I just called the bank and told them come get it.

#problem unsolved

Sorry to hear of the way this is ending. But looking back on all the reported troubles you've encountered while in your possession. I can't fault you. I wonder if this was a first build on a Monday morning or last build on a Friday vehicle?

I hope you have better luck with your next vehicle!