Rear tapered shims to correct alignment?

My wife's 2012 SXT had a 4 wheel alignment done in Oct 2020 but still showed issues on the rear end alignment printout, so we took it back and they did it again but said they ran out of adjustments on the back but did not suggest further action.  Due to front clunking noises, we just had sway bar links and bushings replaced by a local auto mechanic, and the mechanic noted severe wear in the inside of the tires.  They suggested tapered shims to be added to the rear wheels but this sounds a bit mickey mouse to me but I'm no gear head.  They did a complimentary alignment check and the printout looked terrible for the rear wheels.

From searching "camber" here, there's no mention of shims but almost universal mention of the non-adjustable upper control arm and suggestion to replace with adjustable ones.  I will broach this with our preferred mechanic (not local) and ask for a thorough examination of the rear suspension, have parts replaced and another 4 wheel alighnment.  However, my question is about the suggestion of shims.  Is this a sensible suggestion to have made as opposed to other avenues like upper control arms, etc?

Edited by phoenix1151

YES it is possible to use shims as they offered. BUT that is the "low buck" fix and will not last as the issue is from the rubber bushings of the suspension pieces you have referred to. IF you're going to keep the car for a while yet, DO IT THE RIGHT WAY and have the inspected and found worn parts replaced.

Thanks for the reply.  Their ballpark cost wasn't exactly what I consider "low buck" due to labour hours (parts pretty cheap) but I'm fearing what doing it "the right way" would cost, lol.  I would prefer "the right way" and will see what the cost difference is, as "the right way" should eliminate issues for what remains of this vehicles life.  It just sounded like a MacGyver cobble-up to me.  Thanks again, these forums are great.

dont forget you will need a 4 wheel alignment as well, had a 2011 never had a problem but my 2014 i seem to have a problem with it staying in alignment so much so while i was getting the new rear control arms installed at quick lane tire store they are associated or owned by ford motors dealerships, i bought a lifetime policy on my journey cost me around 180 at the time but at 90 a pop for a 4 wheel alignment i have already saved myself a ton of $$ every tire rotation i have it checked sometimes it is okay and sometimes they said it was a bit out but they always take care of me