Alternator drained battery and then bad battery ruined alternator?

So my 2009 Dodge Journey SXT 3.5L broke down on my way to Vegas last weekend. I was driving on the highway, engine light came on and I pulled over immediately and then car came to a stop. 

To give some background information:

About a week prior to leaving for Vegas my car wouldn’t start but closer to where I live (this was the 1st time). It wouldn’t start and battery barely held a charge so my husband and I towed it. We were told it could be a bad alternator so he swapped it out and car was working fine. Fast forward to the following week, we drove to Vegas and car stopped again. So husband swapped out battery with brand new one and still no luck. Autozone told him the battery that was in our car when it stopped was bad. That’s why we bought the new one. He also swapped out starter and still no luck. 

So my guess is that when the car stopped the FIRST time I noticed the battery light was on as well. I’m thinking that because the car was mostly running on the batttery, it drained the battery back then and it was time to be changed when we put the alternator in as well. Battery light disappeared after changing alternator so we didn’t think about it. But it would pop up occasionally and then turn off. Anyway, after putting new alternator in with a battery that was still bad MAYBE it killed the new alternator as well. Basically causing the car not to start EVENTUALLY. The reason it didn’t happen instantly was because I heard a car can still run if the alternator is good and battery is bad but not for long. That’s why it gave out when we headed to Vegas a week later. Am I right or wrong? Give me some ideas and feedback please 

To start out with the BASICS, You need to take the alternator back off and have it tested. Only parts stores and shops have the equipment normally used to do this.IF the alternator is OK, put it back in(not hard on the 3.5)and check ALL wires from it and battery cable connections for clean secure fit. IF all is good and it starts and runs GREAT. IF not, like I posted to you before of the anti theft system having kicked on. There are specific procedures to turn it off once electrical system has been checked out and found good. I don't have the step by step handy to post at this time.

There is more than just battery and alternator that needs to be checked/changed when encountering a problem such as yours.