Radiator fan question

Shawn855

At what temperature should the radiator fan kick on its lowest setting. Also is there a way to force the fan to kick on such as turning the AC on?

Currently I noticed that my AC is not blowing very cold unless I'm driving the vehicle which normally points to a fan issue and now that I think about it I haven't seen my fan kick on ever really, though I keep an eye on my temp and it never goes above 105 celcius. 

Thanks 

Low on Freon?  Compressor on the way out?  Low idle? Weak belt? Bad belt tensioner?

Could be a few things. Are you knowledgeable about AC systems? If not, best to take it to a pro. AC systems can be touchy….

Edited by OhareFred

Freon was empty for a year and finally got a chance to bring it to my shop to have it topped up. I still suspect a leak, as I hear some hissing from time to time when the ac is on. 

Idle is good. 

But ya I definitely don't have a strong grasp on AC systems so I'll just deal with it for now until something more obvious breaks down.

i am NOT a mechanic but over the yrs have had several ac units fixed on cars and usually when a system has been run out of Freon they always replace the dryer unit ,and then they will find the leak,fix it then pull a vacuum to remove any air and also to verify the system is sealed then they had the  Freon to the system, most of the times a leak is at the o rings or hoses..good luck it can get expensive

Sometimes when the Freon is low you can hear a hissing sound as the Freon that remained  in the system travels through the hoses, condensers,etc.  I heard the same sound coming from the dash when my Freon was low. Blew cool air, but not cold. Dealer (I have a lifetime MaxCar Warranty) found the leak (bad hose) evacuated the system, replaced the hose, vacuumed the system, tested for pressure, then refilled with the correct amount of Freon.  Ice cold air now and no hissing! 

You need to find the leak and repair the system.  Just adding Freon isn’t going to work, will be expensive, and is definitely not a good situation.

Yes I understand that but again, it hissed the first time on my way back from the shop after he topped it up completely so the hissing wouldn't be caused from low freon in this instance. 

I also understand that simply adding freon isn't going to work as I had mentioned that he put dye in when refilling the system that will help track the leak when I head back. 

And finally, as mentioned above, the vehicle blows perfectly cold while the vehicle is in motion. It's only when it's at a standstill that the AC doesn't blow as cold.