Hello could anyone help me with my mums Dodge Journey having problems starting

Hello could anyone help me/point me in the right direction with my mums Dodge Journey having problems starting the car, in the past two weeks sometimes car has been intermittently allowing the starter motor to engage... it just gives me 3 clicks from under the engine bay, seems from the right hand side... 

ive added a extra ground from the battery negative jump start point to the engine block mount. 

it’s had a new battery less than 12 month old 

I can get the car started by towing it and putting it into second gear to bypass the starter motor

any help would be greatly appreciated 

More info would help, but if you are hearing a 'click' sound when trying to start it, it's usually the starter going bad. You can check the connections to the starter and also take it in to get tested. 

What year is your mum's DJ?

hello thanks for your quick reply it’s a manual 2.4 uk car, doesn’t have an auto gearbox, has a standard 5 gears, got me completely baffled... because it played up today but we managed to get it Started and got it home and seems fine, can just hear a strange noise from the starter motor maybe it’s not retracting as quick as normal could that be the issue 

the battery seems fine because it can start the car 10 times in a row without any problem, I’ll put a voltage gauge on it tomorrow row to about check but it’s a Bosch battery, all the signs of showing a full/good battery seem okay bright light and horn working/radio and the cars a.c

when the issue happens it’s like a relay click 3 time, I’ll have to strip it down tomorrow and maybe clean it up with wd40

The Journey, and most rolling computers, are very sensitive to voltage. The old headlights work etc. no longer applies. You need to have it load tested with a new electronic load tester, one that prints out results.

all that being said, I had to replace  my starter at about 60 thousand miles.  Sounds like  the starter could be the issue....