2016 AWD JOURNEY READ DIFF AND DRIVESHAFT

Tamy1119

Hi all..

I own a 2016 AWD Journey and LOVE IT..

My issue is, the Rear Diff and Driveshaft were replaced (under warranty) due to a leak and a cracked "coupler" (that is what the mechanic called it)... BUT now there is a sound (like a bearing) coming from where the Driveshaft connects to the transfer case (hope I got this right) when the Journey is driving between 25-30 miles per hour.

It does NOT make any sound when in N and engine revving, so it is strictly a driving issue (makes sense right?)....

Dealer unable to pinpoint (and needless to say this happened AFTER the dealer made the warranty replacements)...

So, I am just looking for thoughts. I hate the "wait til it get worse" mindset...

Any thoughts, ideas? Anything?

THANKS...

Might be a wheel bearing,,,,my daughters patriot that she uses for her mail route and it was making a noise and it was the loudest at around 30 mph, her reg mech had replaced both front cv axles as they were both bad and clicking and around the same time replaced both front and the left rear wheel bearing but their was still a loud noise and he said the right rear wheel bearing was okay and he was saying the noise was her diff bearing going bad BIG $$$$ on a patriot and i asked him about the last wheel bearing being bad and he said no it was good,well a long story being made short i put in the dealership to be checked and it was the rear bearing was bad,  cost us about twice what her reg mech would have charged but was a hell of a lot cheaper than the differential being replaced, also her regular mech didnt want to replace the diff so he wasn't trying to drive up business for himself.

Noise can travel on a vehicle making it hard to pinpoint, Some shops have a vibration sensing tool they can use to zero in on noise. If you are close to end of warranty, wait and see not great. Try to get something in writing about the noise, might be useful later. Sometimes the same part on cars is given three different names, can be confusing. Dodge likes to call their transfer case a ptu unit, no idea why.

The rear diff and drive shaft are expensive items, part about $800 each. If diff lip seal failed and unit ran out of oil then I can see them replacing it. Driveshaft change seems odd. Does your paper work actually say it was replaced.

I think the noise could be the flex coupling on the drive the shaft( $80 rubber round thing in pic below) or if the driveshaft was not replaced then the hanger bearing on driveshaft. (thing in middle with bracket).  It’s one piece shaft assembly so whole unit would be changed out. A new shaft with a bad hanger bearing possible, but very low probability.

27378913-3DBC-43E6-B684-0C8184281678.jpeg.8dd79db54d0653a5bd46970a119065e8.jpeg

65A22590-C251-447F-9886-C4D9707D6F33.jpeg.cd62908bc60104725a18e5d0350f463c.jpeg

Could be flex coupler and rear diff assembly  was replaced; and now entire driveshaft needs replacing. Sometimes the noise is not actually new, but was covered up by noises from the other failing parts. I’m curious, how many miles on the vehicle.

John/Horace..

Thanks for your reply and information...

The Driveshaft was indeed replaced .. had to wait for the part and everything ...

My 2016 Journey only has 27K miles on it. I bought it in 2019 (May) with just 13K miles on it...

I will mention the Flex Coupling to the Dealer.... 

It is out if it's Power Train warranty in March.. (in service date was 3/15 I believe) but the noise has been noted on my work order .. the Service Manager heard it and was as perplexed as myself and my Husband....

My Husband has confirmed that when the Driveshaft was replaced, so was that flex coupling (it was the reason for the replacement, the original was cracked)

(Note: Hubby is a 12 year plus ASE mechanic as well. He is also a bit baffled by the strange noise and because it is still under warranty and he does not work at a Dodge Dealer, he does not want to void anything by diving into it himself)

Thanks for the follow up info, helps the rest of us.

They don’t have to replace flex coupling with the drive shaft I think;  parts are sold individually. Shaft by itself is very pricy, you have scored some very expensive warranty repairs so far. Agree you want to keep warranty in affect as long as possible.

Not much left to replace on your awd system except the ptu right close to front seats. It’s a transfer case they call a power take off unit . Metal filings in the oil would probably confirm a bearing wear issue. Another $1k ish item at least.

Let them keep throwing parts at it;  if they aren’t capable of diagnosing things it’s their problem. Most awd vehicles can be driven without driveshaft for a few minutes to help isolate drive line noises. Generates lights on dash and codes that can be easily cleared afterwards. Weird problems for a low mileage vehicle, not that common I believe.

The strangest part of all this is the fact that it does not make the noise all the time...

Only when driving between 20-30 miles per hour and it stops when I take my foot off the gas or when it shifts up...

And it was NOT making this noise before the repairs.. all was quiet...

If you have documentation about the noise then the March warranty deadline shouldn’t be as critical.

With driveshafts balance makes a difference. Used shafts and coupling are match marked and reassembled in the same orientation to avoid noise and harmonics. The new shaft could be reinstalled 90 or 180 degrees from its present location on a chance its balance related. After work is done a test drive should have turned up this noise issue.

Could try different dealership if you are losing faith in current crew.