P0038 bank 1 sensor 2 and misfire dtc - poor mpg

Borjawil

09 journey 3.5 115k miles

Just swapped in a used engine. O2 sensor code before and after. Misfire code not sure. Getting 15mpg city driving. 18-19 hwy. I believe the bank 1/ sensor 2 is the O2 sensor nearest the firewall on the cat correct? 

I've swapped a used one in but same code so bought a new one. Anyone know what the pins should read to rule out a wiring issue? 

As for the misfire I added it here just in case it's related, but I'll be checking power to the injector, swapping injectors, etc. to diag.

Bank 1 is always the bank that has cyclinder #1 , could be front or back depending on how engine mounted.

Sensor 2 is always after the cat, or downstream. Most sensors have 12 volts supply for build in heater, then other wires that send low 1-2 volt signal to pins in ecm. Codes best way to trouble shoot, milage also good indicator of functionality, as you already know.

Should scan codes, bad O2 can create misfire codes sometimes. Best way to measure mpg is fill up tank, write down gallons and milage, then fill up again and write down milage. Then do the math. I find the on board automatic mpg indicators on cars are rarely very accurate.

So 4 o2 sensors on this vehicle. Both sensor 1s are right after the manifold, and sensor 2 is on the cat I believe. Replaced the firewall side sensor on the cat. Fixed an exhaust leak after where the two cats connect to the rest of the exhaust. Swapped the plug and coil out on cyl 1. The car was saying I was getting 12-13 city prior and now says 17. So improvement but still have both codes showing. Erased them last night so I'll see if it comes back today. 

• 1 month later...

Still have a misfire code. Have swapped injectors, coil, new plug. No longer have an O2 code. Got a multiple random misfire code after swapping the intake and new gasket. Possibly due to new code for bank 1 (firewall side) tuning valve. Swapped out tuning valve from original intake and now have p1005. Thinking I pinched a wire from harness under intake. Will have to remove and see. 

Going to over lay wires from injector and coil for cyl 1. 

• 1 month later...

Looked at the intake tube, saw what looked like small punctures. Swapped that and swapped the original intake on with the new gasket. No more codes. Also swapped the tuning valve back to the original intake. Not sure why that code decided to pop up with it in the other intake.