rear struts 3 seat journey

seen this on you tube, short cut for the difficult rear struts on the 3 seat journey, does look like if you want to save a bunch of $$$$ and should not look bad after covering the side panel down at the bottom ,,,,dont know why it showed for a brief second the top part of the panel cut out,,anyways thought id post it for someone to try out....

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Looks like you're in need of a custom fab job instead of a shortcut. Also, you could, and just here me out on this one, take the sub box out of the vehicle and do it properly. It's really not that bad of a job. I did it just 3 days ago on mine.

5 minutes ago, Locosiete said:

Not a bad job in general just moving that box is a major pain. Especially since will probably have to do this alone. It's very heavy and awkward to move. This winter i plan on doing air ride in my DJ, or at least attempt. With Covid not commuting to work right now so about the best time to do it if i am down a vehicle. As long as no surprise bills pop up should be able to do it. I know least 1 strut is leaking so worst case will do just the struts if it won't work.

Well don't hurt yourself. Got any neighbors hefty enough to help you move it?  I'd like to elaborate on the custom fab work though. If you feel comfortable DIYing it you could add gas lift supports ( like ones found on the hatch ) to be able to lift the subs out of the way and give you access to things that are currently hidden under those side panels. Not a super simple job but the end result, if done well, looks very clean.

• 4 weeks later...

Job was little time consuming. Bought from family with 4 kids so lot of food and sticky substances in way. Several youtube vids out there to give you an idea of basic dismantling of rear interior, some show having to remove upper plastic around window, but didnt need to do it on mine. I took out all seats except front(mostly to clean ) but it made more room to work. Do both struts while everything removed. I thought about cutting access hole at first but it wasnt too bad of job to be worth cutting stuff up. Probably good idea to check all your toe links and knuckle bushings while doing this as well. All bushings seem to be worn out quite a bit for only 105k miles on mine. Seems like bad design to access 2 bolts, but then again you have to remove front IMG_2345.jpg.e5c9bc7cca9bb58c32b38e16ea1998b4.jpg to remove battery, go figureIMG_2344.jpg.56297f9b5a9701ac7f698937f3e9226c.jpg

IMG_2346.jpg

IMG_2380.jpg