2018 Journey GT here

Dukdog7

Just picked up a used 2018 Journey GT yesterday with 11k miles. Upgraded from a 2015 Dart. (Needed a bit bigger commuter car) like it so far, love the pentastar. What Have you all been doing as far as performance upgrades? Anything that you have sone that you recommend to get a little more power out of the pentastar? 
Thanks !

4840C974-A7B8-4E2A-B6E7-89132061EA54.jpeg

The Pentastar is pretty much all you're going to get right out of the box. It's not bad, as is, all things considered.

There are the 'bro science' solutions that many people implement, but really don't do much good other than noise, and placebo effect into thinking the car is faster.

Performance intake filter, either by just buying a better brand stock style filter or doing a CAI with an Airbox.

Exhaust modifications.

There are common utility mods, which are great i0n their respective ways:

Trailer hitch, harness, brake controllers

Brake rotor upgrades if you're in the mountains.

Headlight Upgrades (bulb swaps),

Brush guards

There are less common mods which are good, but blur the line between aesthetic and usefulness:

Lift kits, stanced, with big wheels (off road improvements, despite the "Don't take me off road plz" AWD system)

Lowering kits, Stanced, with aftermarket wheels (street cred, possibly handling advantages if you pour money at it)

Lightbars**

There are fully aesthetic or joy mods:

Scoops, wings, Rallye Lights, Decals, Vinyl stripes, Light Kits, PLASTIDIP anything and everything that is not black, Aftermarket amps+subs, Front window tints, 

If you want to look into tuning, I'd recommend checking out the Charger, and Challanger forums for what those guys to to bump up their  3.8 Pentastars. Just know there aren't much to do.

• 1 month later...
On 5/11/2020 at 1:59 PM, rozey66 said:

Welcome! I, too, just picked up a used '18 GT but mine had 19k miles.

So far only tint, new headlights, and air filters done. Had the local dealership do an oil change since it's at the 20k mark.

I was just wondering what headlights you got.  Did you get completely new headlight assemblies or did you get upgraded LED bulbs.  Thinking about doing one or the other so I'm curious about what's worked for others on here.

• 1 month later...
On 7/6/2020 at 8:41 AM, Fuzrock said:

I was just wondering what headlights you got.  Did you get completely new headlight assemblies or did you get upgraded LED bulbs.  Thinking about doing one or the other so I'm curious about what's worked for others on here.

So sorry for a (massively) late response to this, I somehow missed the notification of this reply...

I went with GTR Lighting Ultra Series LED Headlight Bulbs - 9006 / HB4 (CX)

• 4 weeks later...

While I'm still Journey shopping, I do have a 2013 Chrysler 200S with the same 3.6/ 6spd auto in the Journey. While the previous poster is correct about limited resources, the Pentastar does respond well to intake and exhaust mods. Granted, the different noise is the first thing you'll notice but the gains come as the rpms rise. The Pentastar makes its power numbers above 3500-4k where cam phasing really lets the engine breathe. The higher HP numbers on the RWD LX cars come almost exclusively from better exhaust and tuning. A better PCM tune can increase throttle response and shift point speed that make a noticeable improvement. Given the exhaust layout of the Journey, larger diameter pipe and better flowing components are the only options (just like I had with my 200S)

The factory resonator is not restrictive and helps to silence the godforsaken highway drone. If you go with larger diameter pipe, keep a straight-thru design in place of the resonator. I chose a Flowmaster tube design. The Journey uses a Y-joint out back where my car has a transverse muffler, where I used a Magnaflow unit. In either case, I'd use a larger pipe (same size as resonator-back and I like the sound the Magnaflow unit deliver. The Flowmasters are just too raspy for my ears. You can easily gain 10-20hp but again, you wont feel much of that just buzzing around town unless you do the tune to up the throttle response.

You can also get ported lower intake manifolds and 80mm throttle bodies if you want more umph!

Edited by KnightRoller