P0302

We had an issue a month ago with our journey, check engine light came on a started flashing. Drove home hooked up my scanner and had random cylinder misfire. Changed all the plugs and cleared codes. Yesterday the vehicle started idling bad and today the CEL came on. Code P0302 is the only active code and seems to be getting worse. I keep reading about the left head issues and need to know if this is a known problem and what Chrysler will do if I take it to the dealer. I am going to go ahead and replace the coil just in case but have my doubts that it will fix the issue. I have several years of experience in the automotive repair industry and know my way around these issues more than most but figured this is a good way to get things going. 

Welcome to the forum. You probably know most of this already if you work on cars regularly. You said left head so the six engine. I think that was first year of 3.6 issue only, maybe someone will answer if they know for sure. How many miles on engine, still any power train warranty left.

Could mark cyclinder 2 coil and swap location and see if it follows to another cyclinder. My bet is bad coil.

Did you use new o rings on lower intake while doing spark plugs. Vacuum intake leak can cause cyclinder misfire occasionally.

If you are in that deep, cyclinder compression test useful info to eliminate that possibility.

Even a bad cam or crank sensor can create a cyclinder misfire I’ve heard, although never experienced.

Injectors seem to rarely fail on cars, still a possibility.

Edited by John/Horace

Replaced intake gaskets, im going to at least swap coils tomorrow just to see. It is the 3.6L VVT. Also left head which is as I'm reading seems to be the cause of most cases. I will also check compression for good measure. All cam and crank sensors that i have had fail, have given fault codes leading to that component. 

• Official Dodge Support
On 5/3/2020 at 11:35 AM, JMROWE80 said:

Only at 65k miles. I'll check with the dealer tomorrow.

Hello JMROWE80, 

Just following up with your dealer visit, was the dealer able to address your concerns?

Lamar 

DodgeCares