Car having trouble starting

Folks, I think I have a bad battery and plan to hit Advance Auto tomorrow to test it and the alternator.  Of course, I'm not sure if Advance Auto is still testing with the coronavirus madness in NJ.

Some detail:  Monday afternoon my '12 DJ wouldn't start on the first go.  I cycled from run back to off and then tried to start the car again.  It started, eventually, with all dash lights on, the blower on full and the radio display off.  Within 30s of idle, the car fully normalized and I drove home.  The car drove without issue and I checked the voltage of the battery using my ODBII software as well as logged the drive home.  When I got to the house, the car did not indicate an active or pending code.

The car sat until this morning where the car started with relative ease, but the MIL was illuminated.  I dropped my pup off at the vet and put the car into ACC mode and found P0562 (System Voltage Low).  I researched it a bit online and most of what I read points to a potential bad battery and/or alternator.  I tested across the battery with my meter (with the car off) and it showed the battery to be at ~12.15V and when the car is running, at ~14.25V.  This to me means the battery is getting a charge from the alternator and probably the battery is on it's last legs.  I last replaced the battery about 4-5y ago, which is another reason why I think the battery may be on the way out.

What do you guys think?

Thanks,

Chris

2020-04-01 09.36.08.png

If the people who changed the battery did it right they connected a small keep-alive battery to maintain the various settings - however if something glitched, all that would do is carry the fault past the battery swap.

Have you tried a reset by disconnecting the battery and leaving it sit for an hour or so? 

If you try the disconnect/wait/reconnect sequence, when reconnecting the battery try not to bobble the connection to prevent glitching.