power steering

techab

• Official Dodge Support

I have an 09 Journey and the power steering hose blew on my last week. I'm in Canmore Alberta and the temp had dropped to -17, hardly extreme weather here.

Today my TPMS gave out on me, one minute I'm driving 125km/hour, then I get a chime and not 20 seconds later my tire blows and the car ends up in an uncontrollable spin. I took it to have the tire replaced and the guy tells me this is common for the Journeys!? The TPMS corrodes and falls into the tire and causes it to rapidly deflate and shred. I understand the car is not new, but I've only had it for 34 days a am terrified to drive it now knowing I have three other sensors that could "fall" into my tire.

Have there been any Canadian recalls on the power steering and TPMS yet?

Ducky,

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new to you Journey!

There are no recalls regarding power steering hoses or tire pressure monitor sensors for your Journey.

With regards to the pressure sensors in the tires, they are subject to corrosion over the years from road salt and other road debris and should be replaced as needed.

I recommend inspecting each remaining sensor to determine their current integrity and replace accordingly.

For the power steering hose, Mopar cold weather hose kits are available by region (temperature based).

Check with your parts department and they'll be certain to get the right components for you.

All the best !

I would disagree with replacing the TPMS with each tire change. It's unnecessary unless one of them stops working or starts to leak. They aren't going to cause you to have a blowout or anything dangerous. Plus I think it was about $100 extra to change TPMS last time I had tires replaced. Which is costly compare to $5-$10 valve stems. I'm almost at 80k miles and still on the original TPMS. I'll be getting new (3rd set) tires soon and don't plan to change TPMS. If there's a problem in the future, I'll replace the one corner that had the problem.

I would disagree with replacing the TPMS with each tire change. It's unnecessary unless one of them stops working or starts to leak. They aren't going to cause you to have a blowout or anything dangerous. Plus I think it was about $100 extra to change TPMS last time I had tires replaced. Which is costly compare to $5-$10 valve stems. I'm almost at 80k miles and still on the original TPMS. I'll be getting new (3rd set) tires soon and don't plan to change TPMS. If there's a problem in the future, I'll replace the one corner that had the problem.

According to Ducky's post, a blowout and spin out was EXACTLY what happened. That would be more than enough motivation for me to spend $100 on new sensors...

According to Ducky's post, a blowout and spin out was EXACTLY what happened. That would be more than enough motivation for me to spend $100 on new sensors...

Oh somehow I missed that. I still don't understand how that could occur. I guess I'll still take my chances. Seemings how my vehicle never sees snow, rust, or corrosion being in California. I never understood how people get into spins and accidents due to a tire blowout. I've had a couple blowouts on past vehicles (super old tires, both literally exploded and shredded to pieces). No big deal, the tire pops and you pull over to the shoulder. Both happened at highway speeds, one in the front one in the rear at different times. The vehicle was still easily controllable in both cases.

Oh somehow I missed that. I still don't understand how that could occur. I guess I'll still take my chances. Seemings how my vehicle never sees snow, rust, or corrosion being in California. I never understood how people get into spins and accidents due to a tire blowout. I've had a couple blowouts on past vehicles (super old tires, both literally exploded and shredded to pieces). No big deal, the tire pops and you pull over to the shoulder. Both happened at highway speeds, one in the front one in the rear at different times. The vehicle was still easily controllable in both cases.

Sounds like from his post that the sensor broke and fell into the wheel, at least that is what I gathered... Also, he is in Canada and the road conditions there are quite different from California.

• 1 month later...