2011 Mainstreet Hitch Mount Luggage Basket

Weezknight

We have a 2011 FWD Journey Mainstreet with the 3.6L engine in it. It has an aftermarket hitch (etrailer) that we would like to use for a trip since we'll have all rows of seats in use. The hitch basket we will be using is 70 pounds, and we'll have about 1000 lbs. of passengers in the car. The luggage will be going on the basket.

I have been pouring over the weight ratings, and at this point the numbers are just all jumbling together and I'm getting confused.

Can someone explain to me like I'm 5 how much weight we have to play with for the luggage? Everything I find is about towing, but we're not really towing.

Edited by Weezknight

first off check your carrier for how much weight it can hold,with 1000 lbs of passenger in the journey.make sure you are not overloading your basket with to much weight of the luggage i use a  medical scooter carrier o the back of mine and it exceeds the hitch tong weight by about 20 lbs and havent never had any problems, sometimes with the  basket can drag going into or out of driveway entrance due to the angle of the concrete has been contoured. you would be better to use a roof carrier for some of the luggage to distribute the weight better....probally less than 200 lbs for the luggage depends on your carrier weight limits.  ( is it a class 3 or class 2 hitch)..you will be at the limits or over i would assume since you didnt tell us the weight of the luggage...good luck

12 minutes ago, 2late4u said:

first off check your carrier for how much weight it can hold,with 1000 lbs of passenger in the journey.make sure you are not overloading your basket with to much weight of the luggage i use a  medical scooter carrier o the back of mine and it exceeds the hitch tong weight by about 20 lbs and havent never had any problems, sometimes with the  basket can drag going into or out of driveway entrance due to the angle of the concrete has been contoured. you would be better to use a roof carrier for some of the luggage to distribute the weight better....probally less than 200 lbs for the luggage depends on your carrier weight limits.  ( is it a class 3 or class 2 hitch)..you will be at the limits or over i would assume since you didnt tell us the weight of the luggage...good luck

It is a class 3 hitch, and we are looking to put 3 suitcases on the back, with each one not to exceed 30 lbs. So there will be no more than 90 pounds in the cargo basket.

The hitch tongue weight is 400lbs, but, of course I have to use the Journey number of 200lbs for that. All in all the we are looking to add 160 lbs. onto the back (carrier + luggage).

Edited by Weezknight

7 hours ago, Weezknight said:

It is a class 3 hitch, and we are looking to put 3 suitcases on the back, with each one not to exceed 30 lbs. So there will be no more than 90 pounds in the cargo basket.

The hitch tongue weight is 400lbs, but, of course I have to use the Journey number of 200lbs for that. All in all the we are looking to add 160 lbs. onto the back (carrier + luggage).

you should be fine just watch the steep inclines and gutters in and out of the driveways