Oil Consumption

RAV

I did my first oil change about a month ago at 3000 miles; used synthetic oil. Per the owners manual, the capacity was 5.5 quarts and I filled the crank case and checked the dip stick to make sure it was filled properly. Actually at this volume of oil, I was surprised that the level came up to the low end of the fill range but I left it there.

I checked the oil last night, about a month after the change. I was surprised to see that the level had dropped below the lower "filled" range (though there were no indicators on the dash to show it had reached a significant low level). I added about 3/8 a quart - almost the remaining amount of oil left from the first change.

What are others seeing for oil consumption on the 3.5L engine?

I have not noticed any signigicant oil consumption on mine. Sometimes new motors will burn a little bit of oil. Sometimes they don't. Just keep an eye on it to make sure it does not become excessive. If it burns more than a quart between oil changes the I would have it checked out. Also check the service department for what they consider acceptable oil consumption.

A Dodge truck I had was considered acceptable to use a quart every 3k miles according to Dodge anyways.

• 3 years later...

Well I see I'm not the only one with this problem.I started oil consumption test at around 40,000km. I'm now at 75,000km. Started about 5 different test over that period.It will show no oil on the dipstick when the odometer reads 5000km since the last oil change.They keep telling me it's within the industry standard.Even though other consumers are getting new engines.So I final gave up.No need having a heart attack over this crap. And I'm a Chrysler employee here in Canada.100 years of building cars and engines burning that much oil.Why should I pay for extra oil between oil changes when another person who has the same engine doesn't.Is there a TSB for this problem?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have had this same problem for the past 1.5 years since around 30,000km, now at 50,000km. I have had to add over 3L of oil to my engine several times well before 5000Km. I am currently 2000km into an oil consumption test, and it burned 1.35L of oil so far. This seems excesive to me, but am told by the service department that it is within standards. I call BS. I am supposed to drive it 1500-2000km more before I bring it back for it's next check. I am told they need to establish proof of a problem before they can do anything more.

Also, as I posted earlier today I am having my #2 piston replaced, as it was misfiring, and my radiator had a leak and was replaced. And an inner tie rod was worn and replaced, and a PCM update has been applied for rough transmission shifts. This car is nothing but problems.

• 4 weeks later...