Please view and advise! Coolant temp and radiator fan.

Kyle

Hey everyone. I just purchased a 2012 SXT AWD Journey last week I noticed one day in the drive thru at sonic that the coolant temp was at 230 Farenheit. When I left and started driving home it cooled down to 180. The engine light came on and it said that the thermostat was stuck open. I replaced the thermostat added coolant and all that jazz. It's still doing the same thing. I noticed that the radiator fan will kick on at 230 and then turn off in 5 seconds if that. It never really stays on longer than a few seconds. Any ideas to what my problem is? Also what is the average temp for the journey? 

My understanding is that the thermostat stuck open is not a problem.  The thermostat being closed helps the engine warm up and then will open to allow coolant to flow.  There must be a temperature senson that triggers the radiator fan.  I honestly don't know if the radiator fan is electric.  I assume it is based upon your observations.  If I was attempting to solve this problem, I'd start by researching a coolant temperature sensor.   A quick google search got me this...