Starting Issue

I have a starting issue. Ever since I bought my 2009 journey it has randomly decided not to start. At first it was very rare. I had the recalls done then it was good for a while. Recently, it happens every time i turn off the engine. I just wait a few hours and it starts back up no problem. However if i stop in a parking lot at a grocery store for example, when i get out of the store i end up stranded for hours. Have no $$$ to throw at a new starter or battery or stuff that may not be the problem. Can anyone help diagnose this so I can get the right repair done?

Any error lights on the dash? I had a Ford randomly stop starting. It turned out to be the Transmission Control Module. Given the age of your Journey, it could be something similar. Have you noticed any issues with the transmission (odd shifting, etc)?

The first thing I'd recommend is getting it to a local parts store that does free battery testing and have it tested to eliminate the battery. If it's holding a good charge, then you know the battery is good and the alternator is doing its job. While you're there, they can also run a scan tool diagnostic to let you know about any hidden errors codes.

When you turn the key over when it's not starting, do you hear the starter relay click?

Edited by 09RT

Yes I hear 4 clicks at first but then nothing. There are no lights on the dash when it starts. When it refuses to start, the check engine light and electronic throttle control light stay illuminated in the "on" position. Radio a/c etc still runs... just no start so I doubt it is the battery. Also jump starting does no good. The shifting can be jerky at times but nothing alarming. If it is the transmission control module, how much can i expect for repair? And why would waiting a few hours work if that is tha problem?

Edited by Dodgey
forgot a q

The TCM was replaced under warranty, so I'm not sure what the actual cost would be. I had the same waiting period problem as well. Usually letting it sit overnight would fix it. This was also during the winter time, so, before I knew it was TCM, I thought it was a wiring problem where the day / night shifts in temperature were causing thermal expansion problems.

I was also randomly experiencing total loss of power to the wheels from the engine and hesitation when shifting. Since what you've described so far doesn't sound like you have a lot of transmission-specific issues, your starting issue may be completely unrelated to anything transmission-related, but one thing I did that did fix the issue immediately after a non-start event was to rock the car back and forth. If you have flat land to try it on, put the car in neutral and move it forward a bit and see if it will start after that (if you're on a grade, then stay in the car, put it on neutral, let it roll a bit). I was only able to try that fix once before it was repaired, so again, it may have been unrelated, but it's worth a try if you're stranded.

Edited by 09RT