Dodge will tell you you can't use the in dash DVD player

Lurch

I purchased my Journey last Thursday and asked to have a DVD screen put in so I could use the 6 disk DVD changer on long road trips for my kids. Well my wife took it in Friday to have it installed. When she got home I was surprised that what they had put in was a self contained DVD player with it's own screen. I was pretty upset and called asking why it wasn't hooked to my radio unit. I was told that the stock screen that comes from the factory has a decoder built into it that decodes a signal from the dash unit and that it was impossible to do. Long story short the guys at the dealer kept giving me excuse after excuse as to why it couldn't be hooked up to the dash unit even if I were to try it myself.

Well yesterday after about six hours of messing with it I have hooked up my after market DVD screen to my radio and it works great. I'll try and gather some more info and post an entire write up later.

OK so here is a quick write up on how to get the DVD video signal off of your stock 6 disk radio unit. (this will not work with the RES model)

The picture I made shows which pin on the radio supplies the video out signal. The trick was how to attatch a cable to that pin. Well being the computer teacher/nerd that I am I had some jumpers lying around(lower left picture). I then clipped off the end of an RCA cable (12ft cabels)and stripped back just enough to put the center wire of the RCA through one side of the computer jumper and crimped it(smashed that one side of the jumper) using a pair of needle nose pliers. If you use this same method make sure that you cut away the negative wiring on the RCA so that it doesn't cause a short. Then use electrical tape to tape the jumper and RCA wire to ensure it dosent come loose. Then use the needle nose pliers to slide the uncrimped half of the computer jumper onto the indicated pin and you have video. :happy feet:

post-58-1208288009_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I would like to add a screen and hook it up to my radio also, but I was just wondering if something went out on my radio would hooking up the screen like you described void my warranty on the radio.

I'm sure that the dealer might give you a hard time if they saw you had messed with the stock radio. I personally would just unhook the modification from the back of the radio and hide the wiring before I took it in to be checked out for a warranty issue

• 4 months later...
OK so here is a quick write up on how to get the DVD video signal off of your stock 6 disk radio unit. (this will not work with the RES model)

The picture I made shows which pin on the radio supplies the video out signal. The trick was how to attatch a cable to that pin. Well being the computer teacher/nerd that I am I had some jumpers lying around(lower left picture). I then clipped off the end of an RCA cable (12ft cabels)and stripped back just enough to put the center wire of the RCA through one side of the computer jumper and crimped it(smashed that one side of the jumper) using a pair of needle nose pliers. If you use this same method make sure that you cut away the negative wiring on the RCA so that it doesn't cause a short. Then use electrical tape to tape the jumper and RCA wire to ensure it dosent come loose. Then use the needle nose pliers to slide the uncrimped half of the computer jumper onto the indicated pin and you have video. :happy feet:

Thank you for your information, is the data that I'm locking for. I'm buy 3 weeks ago my Journey and have this kind of radio, I'm ask to the Dodge dealer and is very expensive the roof srcreen and I have the idea to put a screen conect to my radio.

I will try this afternoon.

Do you have more information about thr rear c1, c2. c3 pin out?

Thank's again for the info

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you for your information, is the data that I'm locking for. I'm buy 3 weeks ago my Journey and have this kind of radio, I'm ask to the Dodge dealer and is very expensive the roof srcreen and I have the idea to put a screen conect to my radio.

I will try this afternoon.

Do you have more information about thr rear c1, c2. c3 pin out?

Thank's again for the info

I would like help with that too. the pic you put up does not blow up anymore. ALso how do you control the DVD functions?

• 3 months later...

Sorry guys I haven't been on here in a while. I'm not sure what the C1, C2, and C3 Pin are for? If you have the Stereo with the DVD player in it the controls are built in to the stereo just look at you manual from the dealer to learn how to use it. Since it is all built into the radio, sound isn't an issue because the stereo is already hooked up to all speakers in the car.

• 1 month later...
Sorry guys I haven't been on here in a while. I'm not sure what the C1, C2, and C3 Pin are for? If you have the Stereo with the DVD player in it the controls are built in to the stereo just look at you manual from the dealer to learn how to use it. Since it is all built into the radio, sound isn't an issue because the stereo is already hooked up to all speakers in the car.

Dear Lurch,

I cant access the image to check the VIDEO out. Do you can help me?

Thanks

From another site, I found the following connector details for the REQ (6 Disc DVD) Radio:

Radio C1 - Gray 10 way - Hands Free (U-Connect)

Code:

1 18LB/DG LEFT AUDIO OUTPUT

2 18DG/LB RIGHT AUDIO OUTPUT

3 - IPod Serial initiation (Ipod Pin 21)

4 18DG/YL MICROPHONE FEED

5 -

6 18DG COMMON AUDIO OUTPUT

7 18LB/DG MICROPHONE IN (-)

8 18OR/GY SENSOR GROUND

9 - IPod USB Data (+) (Ipod pin 27)

10 - IPod USB Data (-) (Ipod Pin 25)

Radio C2 - Gray 22 way - Audio

Code:

1 18RD FUSED B(+) (I.O.D.)

2 20WT CAN INTERIOR BUS (-)

3 - USB 5 Volts (Ipod pin 23)

4 - IPod Serial TxD (Ipod pin 12)

5 - IPod Serial RxD (Ipod pin 13)

6 - Ipod Ground (Ipod pin 1)

7 18GY/OR AMPLIFIED ANTENNA FEED

8 18GY/LG LEFT REAR SPEAKER (+)

9 18GY/DG LEFT REAR SPEAKER (-)

10 18DG/LG RIGHT REAR SPEAKER (+)

11 18DG/GY RIGHT REAR SPEAKER (-)

12 18BK/WT GROUND

13 20WT/OR CAN INTERIOR BUS (+)

14 - IPod Ground (Ipod pins 29 and 30)

15 - IPod Audio common Ground (-) (Ipod pin 2)

16 - IPod Right Audio out (+) (Ipod pin 3)

17 - IPod Left Audio out (+) (Ipod pin 4)

18 -

19 18DG/VT RIGHT FRONT SPEAKERS(+)

20 18DG/YL RIGHT FRONT SPEAKERS(-)

21 18GY/VT LEFT FRONT SPEAKERS(+)

22 18GY/YL LEFT FRONT SPEAKERS(-)

Radio C3 - White 22 way - Rear-Seat Video Montior

Code:

1 18GY/LB AUDIO RETURN 3

2 -

3 -

4 -

5 18GY/BR VIDEO SIGNAL 1

6 18GY/YL VIDEO COMMON 1

7 VDO-VIDEO SHIELD 1

8 18GY/LB VIDEO SIGNAL 2

9 18GY/YL VIDEO COMMON 2

10 VIDEO SHIELD 2

11 18GY/OR AUDIO RETURN 2

12 18DG/VT AUDIO LEFT 3

13 18DG/YL AUDIO RIGHT 3

14 -

15 -

16 -

17 -

18 18DG/TN AUDIO LEFT 1

19 18GY/VT AUDIO RETURN 1

20 18DG/WT AUDIO RIGHT 1

21 18DG/LB AUDIO LEFT 2

22 18DG/DB AUDIO RIGHT 2

I think that Dodge has 2 kinds of DVDs depending upon the radio system you have installed.

If you have a simple radio system then they must mount a DVD in the roof which will work separatelly, and that can be heard through the sound system adjusting a radio signal. They explain how to mount this one in a paper called K6860475.PDF.

You can find it here:

http://216.33.67.161/en-US/82210915AD/part...40&pc=39250

But if you have the Mygig system which can play DVDs then they must mount a different DVD in the roof that will work only as a monitor. The DVDs have to be operated though the Mygig system. They explain how to mount this one in a paper called K6869575.PDF.

You can find it here:

http://216.33.67.161/en-US/82211611AC/part...mp;VehicleId=40

In our case the Dodge vendor didn't know this and installed the Mygig system with the separated DVD in the roof conected only by a radio signal. We discussed this issue with them, and the only solution is to change de DVD from the roof and to install the appropiated one. The difference in Spain is about 400US$ more that we will be paying next week. We hope it doesn't affect the roof itself with any holes left, since the size in the roof of the the 2 DVDs may be somehow different.

Cheers

• 1 month later...

Wow the install on the overhead is way too much for me, think I'll just go to target and get these

http://www.target.com/RCA-Dual-Mobile-DVD-...;rh=&page=2

That way i can remove them and put them in one of the bins in the floor, that way no one will knock a window out to take them. I have the video line from the radio so i guess I will split it to run into both plus the kids can watch a movie and hook up headphones.

Wow the install on the overhead is way too much for me, think I'll just go to target and get these

http://www.target.com/RCA-Dual-Mobile-DVD-...;rh=&page=2

That way i can remove them and put them in one of the bins in the floor, that way no one will knock a window out to take them. I have the video line from the radio so i guess I will split it to run into both plus the kids can watch a movie and hook up headphones.

That's what I'm planning to do as well.

But I think I will by to separate units, not two screens to one dvd-player.

The kids are 3 and 6 years old - and don't really agree on movie choices ;-)

And on vacation you can take them with you out of the car and the kids can have one unit and me and my wife can have the other.

/Andreas

• 1 month later...

After messing around for about an hour i was able to get an aftermarket monitor to play from my REQ radio, this was just an experiment for now, my question is how do you control the dvd from the radio, it would play but how do you get to the dvd menu? my owner manual is no help...... I will also be experimenting with audio from the c3 connector to a wireless divice that will send to wireless headphones. Does anyone know if you can watch a dvd in the back and listen to the radio over the speakers if i do this??

After messing around for about an hour i was able to get an aftermarket monitor to play from my REQ radio, this was just an experiment for now, my question is how do you control the dvd from the radio, it would play but how do you get to the dvd menu? my owner manual is no help...... I will also be experimenting with audio from the c3 connector to a wireless divice that will send to wireless headphones. Does anyone know if you can watch a dvd in the back and listen to the radio over the speakers if i do this??

Well we like pics...so post pics of what you did. Just came back from a 2000+ road trip and the targets held up...one has a monitor in line and I used that line to play from the DVD in dash. The instructions are in the manuel but the jist is to hit the set up button and work from there, bad news is unless you have a monitor in the front you have to ask the person in the back what is playing so you can hit the ok in the set up menu.

I purchased my Journey last Thursday and asked to have a DVD screen put in so I could use the 6 disk DVD changer on long road trips for my kids. Well my wife took it in Friday to have it installed. When she got home I was surprised that what they had put in was a self contained DVD player with it's own screen. I was pretty upset and called asking why it wasn't hooked to my radio unit. I was told that the stock screen that comes from the factory has a decoder built into it that decodes a signal from the dash unit and that it was impossible to do. Long story short the guys at the dealer kept giving me excuse after excuse as to why it couldn't be hooked up to the dash unit even if I were to try it myself.

Well yesterday after about six hours of messing with it I have hooked up my after market DVD screen to my radio and it works great. I'll try and gather some more info and post an entire write up later.

Does it allow you to watch the movie while driving?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, please help!

I bought my Journey last December. My radio doesn't have a screen, but that's fine for now. My dealer told me that if I wired my own screen I will lose my warranty and stuff.

In March my radio just couldn't load CDs. I followed all the instrcutions of pressing "LOAD" # 1-6, but still no luck. Was told I probably hit a pothole and demaged the sensors. They don't have them sensors. I can't seem to have options of changing the radio itself. Please help.

I also want to put up a screen for my kids. HELP!!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

There is a way to change the configuration of the DVD to see the videos when the Journey is walking (in the position of the lever DRIVE), ie remove the function that you can only view videos when the lever is in PARK. We travel a lot with my wife and she would like to see the videos.

I appreciate if I can provide a solution to avoid having to install an additional display on the front left.

Thank you