how to remove top compartment lid?

cabrals

Access to the top compartment starts by removing the cover for the front stack (radio, climate control & vents). This front cover simply snaps on, with your finger tips, grab it at the bottom sides, give it a wiggle a tug and it should start to unsnap. It does come off hard, so don't be afraid to pull once it's starts to break free. Once this front trim cover is removed it will be held on by two connectors for the climate control, you can remove them to get it out of the way, but it's not neccessary because all we really want ot get to is the two screws for the front of the top module. While I've never taken this cover off, it is all part of this module.

Good Luck, and if you need any pictures with the front bezel removed, I'd be happy to snap one or two.

I'm thinking of snaking a cord from the 12v outlet at the front, up under the dash to this area to power a GPS receiver.

Anyone done this?

Could also tap into the power feed back their and avoid having to use the outlet at all.

Garmin online manual says the connector is mini-usb. I could check the Dollar Store for a cable with a mini-usb connector and splice it into some wires in this area.

(This way - I would not be without the actual cable when I want to use the GPS in another vehicle)

Any thoughts?

I'm thinking of snaking a cord from the 12v outlet at the front, up under the dash to this area to power a GPS receiver.

Anyone done this?

Could also tap into the power feed back their and avoid having to use the outlet at all.

Garmin online manual says the connector is mini-usb. I could check the Dollar Store for a cable with a mini-usb connector and splice it into some wires in this area.

(This way - I would not be without the actual cable when I want to use the GPS in another vehicle)

Any thoughts?

I think the mini USB would be for uploading to your computer, since USB is only 5 VDC and the unit is powered by 12 VDC, you are talking about two different cables.

Once you remove the cover over the radio and climate control, you'll see how easy it'll be to snake a cable down to the power outlets. You can see the top of the dark little cubbie hole just past the power outlets and you'll see that the top is just a flap of rubber and there is room for several cables.

• 1 year later...

I have a few mini USB power cords that plug into the 12v power source. They will work with my Garmin, but don't seem to supply enough voltage; the unit comes on, but it's dim, sometimes hums, and the audo out may not work. For $10 or so, you can puchase a spare power cord for use in other vehicles.

I think the mini USB would be for uploading to your computer, since USB is only 5 VDC and the unit is powered by 12 VDC, you are talking about two different cables.

Once you remove the cover over the radio and climate control, you'll see how easy it'll be to snake a cable down to the power outlets. You can see the top of the dark little cubbie hole just past the power outlets and you'll see that the top is just a flap of rubber and there is room for several cables.