HID's - Group buy, and save money

oh crap ... it's was my first idea when i looked at it . ... I hoped for another way ....

well.. since it will take a while to get my set. in the meantime i decided to build myself a relay harness... it's true , the headlights wires are too small for my taste and i don't want to toast anything...

Your building one? smart beacuse then you can make all the wires the exact length, just plan where you want to place the balasts, did you find plans for one?
Not that involved. All you have to do is move the main electrical/fuse assembly. 4 clamps (push them in as you pull up) and you can move it enough to reach the drivers side bulbs. don't have to do anything alse.

easy enough

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your building one? smart beacuse then you can make all the wires the exact length, just plan where you want to place the balasts, did you find plans for one?

plans ? well no need for that. You see i have a formation in Industrial Electricity... so making a 12 volt relay is a piece of cake. All you need is a 12 volt relay with two contacts and high rated in amp .. let say humm 40amps. So you plug the relay directly on the battery and ground ( put a fuse on the power line too ) after plug the two ballast HID on the two contacts on the relay. Then all you need is only one plug from the oem wire lights that will activate the relay ... so when you turn on the lights the relay is activated which cause the two relay contacts to close and let the power pass in the ballast......

the only problem i can see after that is if the OEM voltage is not high enough to keep the relay closed when it's activated it might cause some flickering ( due to the relay clicking continuously ) you fix that by adding a capacitor to get a stable 12 Volt.

but as i said before ..ill see that when i ll have the parts in hands :)

plans ? well no need for that. You see i have a formation in Industrial Electricity... so making a 12 volt relay is a piece of cake. All you need is a 12 volt relay with two contacts and high rated in amp .. let say humm 40amps. So you plug the relay directly on the battery and ground ( put a fuse on the power line too ) after plug the two ballast HID on the two contacts on the relay. Then all you need is only one plug from the oem wire lights that will activate the relay ... so when you turn on the lights the relay is activated which cause the two relay contacts to close and let the power pass in the ballast......

the only problem i can see after that is if the OEM voltage is not high enough to keep the relay closed when it's activated it might cause some flickering ( due to the relay clicking continuously ) you fix that by adding a capacitor to get a stable 12 Volt.

but as i said before ..ill see that when i ll have the parts in hands :)

Yah I have a lot of expierence with them, I just made it easy for me and bought the pre-made harness

Christmas season + shipping USPS = wait time. We mailed our rent check and took a WEEK to get there. Mailed in the same city!! Worst part of the holidays, reason I ship UPS.

i received my kit. didn't finished my own relay harness yet .. and it's almost Christmas and with all the family and work party at this time .. i don't know when i be able to put the kit in my Journey.. well stay tune ...

i received my kit. didn't finished my own relay harness yet .. and it's almost Christmas and with all the family and work party at this time .. i don't know when i be able to put the kit in my Journey.. well stay tune ...

Is it possible for you to test the kit without the relay harness and just plug it in as it says in the description on there webpage?

good job

it's in !! i nearly froze my hands but it's installed .. hehe. You really need a relay harness , i tested with just the kit '' plug and play '' but the stock voltage is simply not high enough. You will run into problems like flickering or just one headlamp on and the other off .... so you really need a relay harness to plug both ballast direct on the battery.

This is one HID light 6000K VS stock halogen 9006 bulb :

hid_vs_stock.jpg

Now both HID lights installed :

hid.jpg

Both HID lights + stock 9007 high beam

hid_high.jpg

notice the blue hue can be different depending the angle you look at the lights... ill try to post another pics at night time

Hey guys, I did HIDs a while ago and did a write up about it, step by step with pictures:

http://www.dodgejourneyforum.com/index.php?showtopic=924

HIDs has come up time and time again. We need to start using the search function before we create a new thread.

This is like the 8th or 10th thread about this.

All your questions has come up and been answered. Check out the other threads.

Quick answers:

1. You MUST use a relay harnest! HIDs will not work on a Dodge Journey with out it.

2. Your better off buying a relay harnest. They start at about $12 bucks. If you build one, it comes up to the same price or more. If you build one, the relay by itself is like $12 bucks. I know because I been there, done that.

3. HIDs for high beams is NOT the best thing to do. If you need to flash someone, they take way too long to start up (someone already pointed this out, and they are right) Also, you will run into a whole new set of problems with HID high beams.

4. Depending on your Journey, you don't need projector head light lens. Dodge designed the Journey with the future in mind. From what I have found out, our head lights are already projectors. Check the driver side door label. Mine says my journey may already have HIDs in it. They already designed it for HIDs. (Smart company!)

Thats probably why the stock headlights suck and A LOT of people are going with HIDs in thier Journey's.

GUYS, CHECK OUT THE STEP BY STEP THREAD! IT WILL SAVE YOU FROM HAVING A LOT OF PROBLEMS EVERYONE ELSE HAS

ALREADY HAD.

Good luck and enjoy the HIDs.

Hey guys, I did HIDs a while ago and did a write up about it, step by step with pictures:

http://www.dodgejourneyforum.com/index.php?showtopic=924

HIDs has come up time and time again. We need to start using the search function before we create a new thread.

This is like the 8th or 10th thread about this.

All your questions has come up and been answered. Check out the other threads.

Quick answers:

1. You MUST use a relay harnest! HIDs will not work on a Dodge Journey with out it.

2. Your better off buying a relay harnest. They start at about $12 bucks. If you build one, it comes up to the same price or more. If you build one, the relay by itself is like $12 bucks. I know because I been there, done that.

3. HIDs for high beams is NOT the best thing to do. If you need to flash someone, they take way too long to start up (someone already pointed this out, and they are right) Also, you will run into a whole new set of problems with HID high beams.

4. Depending on your Journey, you don't need projector head light lens. Dodge designed the Journey with the future in mind. From what I have found out, our head lights are already projectors. Check the driver side door label. Mine says my journey may already have HIDs in it. They already designed it for HIDs. (Smart company!)

Thats probably why the stock headlights suck and A LOT of people are going with HIDs in thier Journey's.

GUYS, CHECK OUT THE STEP BY STEP THREAD! IT WILL SAVE YOU FROM HAVING A LOT OF PROBLEMS EVERYONE ELSE HAS

ALREADY HAD.

Good luck and enjoy the HIDs.

Got to read the thread pimp, this was about saving money on a set!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...