17 hours ago, jorgev2 said:

I got a radio receiver for junk yard  for 2016 dodger journey I got the anti theft code  from dealer but when put number keep saying wrong code.

My question is how you enter the code, key on or key acc or eng-running.

You turn on the radio and enter it on the 'enter unlock code' screen.  Doesn't matter whether the engine is running or not.

35 minutes ago, Camper said:

In order to get anti-theft code, you need to provide to your dealer VIN from donor vehicle and the and the code from one of the sticker from that radio, then dealer can obtained the code for you.

That is NOT correct.

You need the serial number of the radio and the VIN of the TARGET vehicle; the one you are installing the radio in.

18 hours ago, bramfrank said:

You turn on the radio and enter it on the 'enter unlock code' screen.  Doesn't matter whether the engine is running or not.

That is NOT correct.

You need the serial number of the radio and the VIN of the TARGET vehicle; the one you are installing the radio in.

That is correct, and I am correct to , because in my post i say"" from one of the sticker"". one of them contained serial number.I`w done it this replacement on my 2012 Journey. :)

1 hour ago, Camper said:

That is correct, and I am correct to , because in my post i say"" from one of the sticker"". one of them contained serial number.I`w done it this replacement on my 2012 Journey. :)

OK, but you had said the required VIN was that of the donor vehicle in your post - that part was wrong.

I done that swap, and it does required VIN from donor vehicle. When you get the radio from donor, it secured to that VIN. Dealer login to the their system and type the serial number from radio and donor VIN, then dealer obtained cod.When you install the radio into new vehicle, then it get registered to that vehicle after you punch the security code. Because, the code you received from dealer will unlock the radio and removed the anti theft soft look.:)

10 hours ago, Camper said:

I done that swap, and it does required VIN from donor vehicle. When you get the radio from donor, it secured to that VIN. Dealer login to the their system and type the serial number from radio and donor VIN, then dealer obtained cod.When you install the radio into new vehicle, then it get registered to that vehicle after you punch the security code. Because, the code you received from dealer will unlock the radio and removed the anti theft soft look.:)

Once more . . . . nope. 

Your recollection is faulty.  And just to make certain I wasn't wrong, I looked up the e-mail exchanges from when I had mine unlocked - the person who did it for me was never given the VINs of the donor vehicles for my two radios.

I have 2 of the RB5s, the second was purchased as a spare to have before we figured out how to recover from the "can't unlock maps" issue.  Both have been unlocked for my vehicle and just to prove the point in case my exchanges were missing some details, I have no record anywhere of what the VIN of the donor vehicle for the second radio was to have had available to give to the kind soul who provided me the codes.

The unlock code is a hash of the serial number of the radio and the VIN of the target vehicle - you enter it into the radio and if the code matches the hash the radio will power up properly.  You don't 'remove' the mate, you update the code in the radio to match the VIN of the vehicle it is installed in.  If you install it in a new vehicle the code won't match and you need to use the tool to calculate the new 'unlock code' before you can use the radio.

Edited by bramfrank

Just out off curiosity, how long the code you have to punch to get radio work on new vehicle?

Here is my conversation with Chrysler support:""

Could you please provide me the VIN number (serial number) of the car.

> I have no way of knowing what matches with what without getting the

> sales codes from that Journey.""Chrysler says to get the unlock code you need to have the VIN number from the donor car””

The CSR is wrong.  They often are when it comes to technical matters.  They are telephone operators, not technicians.

The sales codes have nothing whatsoever to do with the radio; the radio DOES get the Sales codes out of the BCM via the CANBUS for options like the backup camera, heated seats, Daytime Running Lights, power inverter, Air Conditioning and whether it is automatic and whether it is dual zone or triple and so on, which in turn enables access those features and their configuration - if the radio was the storage location for those items you couldn't swap out your radio and still have access to them.

The code is 4 digits long, from my records.

Edited by bramfrank

• 4 years later...