Seat belt alarm.... WTF

04redmach1

I don't trust seat belts.

And take your chances with some of the idiots on the road? I trust the belts a lot more than I trust the doofus in the lane next to me who is on his cell phone and shaving-while-driving in rush hour traffic. Like motorcycles, it's not your own driving that you need to worry about, it's everyone else on the road.

A co-worker got hit head-on while driving to work at 3am by some girl high on drugs. He tried to avoid her at the last minute and she clipped him in the drivers fender/door area at roughly 60 mph, and separated the front corner of the bed from the frame. He was driving a fullsize pickup and suffered 4 broken ribs, a concussion, and took 13 stitches to his head despite wearing his belt and the airbag. Looking at the wreck you never would have guessed he was able to call 911 himself.

I used to work on a rescue ambulance and have cut more than a few folks out of wrecks and I've seen a huge increase in the severity of injuries to those not restrained. Even with the airbag you'll bounce off of a few things (usually the A-pillar) in an accident. The evidence that they work and save lives is overwhelming, and you may only get one chance to learn the hard way, but in the end it is your choice. Stay safe and keep the shiny side up!

Matt

Until they malfunction and you are burned to death or drown. I perfer to move freely.

As a rescuer, we used to carry seatbelt cutters for this "emergency" and I NEVER had to use one, nor have I known anyone that has. The release mechanism ALWAYS worked. Not to say that it won't happen, but your chances of being thrown from a car in a rollover are much greater. The outcome for passengers that leave the vehicle, whole or in part, during a rollover event are rarely good.

Up here in the northeast, we already had one icing event this fall where I saw 9 accidents on my 1:20 commute to work, 4 of them were upside down. I log 45k-50k miles a YEAR, so my risks of having a crash are far greater than most. I hedge my bets that the only sure way to get home to my 2 kids is to wear the seatbelt. That, and it's the law in Mass and Conn. They even set traps on off-ramps in CT and pull you over then and there for your ticket - $50 plus "unsafe driver points" for your insurance. OUCH!

Back on topic, I know my F-150 has a procedure written in the manual to turn the warning chime off, and you can do one or both front seats. I didn't see one in the Journey's manual, but may have missed it. Does anyone know if such a procedure exists?

I've been a firefighter/paramedic in Chiicago for almost 30 years now. Been to a couple of crashes in my time. I can count on one hand, with fingers left over, how many times not wearing a seatbelt saved someone. Maybe 3 times, so yes it does happen. Personally I feel if you don't want to wear a belt thats up to you, it should be your choice. Don't use my tax dollars to support your paralized body if you won't wear one. My choice. Me, and everyone I know and love wears the belt in my car and I don't care how they feel about it. My car, my rules. Your car, your rules.

With me now off my soapbox (thank you for enduring) I don't think your dealer can leagally shut off the buzzer (the whole NHTSB thing). It used to be a little relay buzzer thing that plugged into the fuse box, but now is intergrated into the computer (I think). Of course there are ways around everything.

Should you choose not to belt up, may your journeys ALWAYS be safe.

Happy Thanksgiving to All!

PS: I am not wanting to start a war about government control, etc. I am simply stating what I know as facts. Thanks for listening! :rolleyes:

You are right, my choice :) :cough: with democraps in office not much can we really choose :cough: Whew sorry about that my throat is acting up.

But yes they can turn it off due to someone like a farmer who is in and out of truck a lot, or they would loose some sales for sure. I myself do a lot of shows with car audio and the buzzer isn't very attractive.

as an EX- UK firefighter, i too saw many a road traffic accident.... however , and not wishing to en-flame (pun intended) the discussion any further, i DO NOT WEAR a seat belt, and in the UK ,you have to have a medical reason NOT to wear one, and have a certificate to prove so ( or the Police fine you) .. i have the medical certificate, why... because my spine was damaged by a driver doing a "U" turn on the motorway (Highway/Freeway) when i was passing at 70mph, and i "T" boned the madman!!!!! and it was the seatbelt , that caused my injuries... vertibrae 3,4,5,6 & 7 damaged , fractured ribs, and a couple of other broken bones... and if it was not for a kind and brave police officer, who cut the belt(WHICH HAD LOCKED/JAMMED) and dragged me out, i would be have been TOAST long ago....not just toasted legs.... but that was over 20 years ago now.. and i still can not wear a belt, as the motion of the belt stopping me, would possibly paralyse me from the neck down, ok i can colide with the windshield, but hey! i don't have great looks , so i am not worried there..LOL!

and yes the seat belt alarm drove me mad,(we get the "Bing" noise in the UK) , so had my dealer de-activate it... nice and quiet now...

• 3 years later...
Guest Warthawg

YOU COULD TRY THIS

1. With all doors closed, and the ignition switch in any

position except ON or START, buckle the drivers seat

belt.

2. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position, (engine

does not need to be running). Wait for the Seat Belt

Reminder Light to turn off and then proceed to the next

step.

NOTE: You must perform the following steps within 60

seconds of turning the ignition switch to the ON position.

3. Unbuckle the drivers seat belt, allow the seat belt to

retract, and then re-buckle the drivers seat belt at least

three times, ending with the seat belt buckled.

NOTE: Watch for the Seat Belt Reminder Light to turn

on while the seat belt retracts and turn off while rebuckling

the seat belt. It may be necessary to completely

retract the seat belt each time.

4. Turn the ignition switch to the LOCK position. A

single chime will sound to signify that you have successfully

completed the programming.

The BeltAlert can be reactivated by repeating this procedure.

NOTE: When the BeltAlert is deactivated, the Seat Belt

Reminder Light will continue to illuminate as long as the

drivers seat belt is unbuckled/retracted.

AND STILL WEAR YOUR SEATBELT

• 4 weeks later...