The Roof Coffin

Tempted to put at least one of my kids up there sometimes...lol!

It doesn't look like much in the photo, but the carrier makes a big difference when hauling the kinds of stuff that a kid takes to school. By loading up the coffin with soft, compressible items like clothing, pillows, travel bags and all, that frees up the tailgate for the bulky items like the fridge and TV. We were able to fit everything in the car and still have room for the four of us. The Journey continues to prove immensely versatile and remains a perfect fit for our family.

IMG_5048.jpg

19 hours ago, lmoore1436 said:

Let us know how much it fits! I was considering one of these myself for long road trips. We have a trip to disney planned this summer and with 6 passengers I'll need all the space I can get! 

I should have photographed everything that I packed into it, but as I took everything out of the carrier, I just handed it off to a family member who then carried it into the house. There were two soft carry bags filled with clothes, a comforter, a couple of kitchen bags with clothes, a couple of pillows and some smaller miscellaneous items. Anything that I could compress without breaking went up there first. If you have soft luggage then it might be a viable option. We would not have been able to fit all our stuff without it. I borrowed a Town and Country minivan last summer to move him up there, which fit everything comfortably. I calculated that we'd have enough room in the Journey with the addition of the roof carrier, and it proved to be just enough.

With six passengers, you'll need part of your third row seat as well, which seriously eats into your cargo space. The roof carrier might not be enough.

Edited by Journeyman425

14 minutes ago, Journeyman425 said:

I should have photographed everything that I packed into it, but as I took everything out of the carrier, I just handed it off to a family member who then carried it into the house. There were two soft carry bags filled with clothes, a comforter, a couple of kitchen bags with clothes, a couple of pillows and some smaller miscellaneous items. Anything that I could compress without breaking went up there first. If you have soft luggage then it might be a viable option. We would have been able to fit all our stuff without it. I borrowed a Town and Country minivan last summer to move him up there, which fit everything comfortably. I calculated that we'd have enough room in the Journey with the addition of the roof carrier, and it proved to be just enough.

With six passengers, you'll need part of your third row seat as well, which seriously eats into your cargo space. The roof carrier might not be enough.

Thanks! Yeah I figured as much. I'll probably just leave half of the third row flat to use for luggage. I have the tow package too so maybe it would be better for me to get a cargo carrier for the tow hitch and package everything up. Thought with 4 girls I'm not sure if the tow capacity will handle all of their stuff haha

17 hours ago, lmoore1436 said:

Thanks! Yeah I figured as much. I'll probably just leave half of the third row flat to use for luggage. I have the tow package too so maybe it would be better for me to get a cargo carrier for the tow hitch and package everything up. Thought with 4 girls I'm not sure if the tow capacity will handle all of their stuff haha

i would use the tow hitch.  the roof mounted cargo carriers are terrible for fuel economy

1 hour ago, silenze said:

i would use the tow hitch.  the roof mounted cargo carriers are terrible for fuel economy

Good point. Our college trip is only an hour of highway driving and the rest is rural, so it doesn't matter so much to us, but for longer drives I could see where it could be a factor.