Took delivery today

YellowDuck

Okay, so half an hour after that last post, the dealership called me. They say it is all fixed. Problem was with the driver's side rear hub, which was also affecting the sensors located there. Radio is changed out as well. Pretty good service, seeing as it is only 10:00 Monday morning.

Will report back if there are any further problems, but at this point it is looking like a quick resolution!

Thanks. The actual mechanics report says that there was a corroded sensor connector, and they couldn't separate the two sensor halves, which necessitated changing the entire hub and bearing (?). Anyway it all worked properly on the drive home.

Yeah, I think they are a part of the hub... you know, so they can charge an arm and a leg should they ever fail. At least your dealer is competent enough to make the diagnosis and repair. With all of the horror stories you hear, I sometimes wonder if I am just really lucky to have 2 good dealers withing 20 miles of my home.

• Official Dodge Support

Thanks. The actual mechanics report says that there was a corroded sensor connector, and they couldn't separate the two sensor halves, which necessitated changing the entire hub and bearing (?). Anyway it all worked properly on the drive home.

YellowDuck,

Glad to hear things have been sorted out for you!

All the best!

• 2 months later...

Just read this whole thread, and am curious about something YellowDuck. On the crescent I live on here in Kitchener, Ontario there is a pearl white Journey at, I believe, the house second from the entrance to the crescent. There used to be two Jeeps in the driveway, is it possible its your Journey?

Yeah, I think they are a part of the hub... you know, so they can charge an arm and a leg should they ever fail. At least your dealer is competent enough to make the diagnosis and repair. With all of the horror stories you hear, I sometimes wonder if I am just really lucky to have 2 good dealers withing 20 miles of my home.

I know this is somewhat old, but wanted to add some info for changing out wheel hub/bearing parts. They generally now come as a single assembly (and with ABS equipped vehicles, have a wheel speed sensor built in as well). It also means you don't pack grease into a wheel bearing ever again. It's a single component that, for the front axle, allows the drive shaft to rest in the middle to drive the actual flange with mounting points for your rotor and wheel. The GC/T&C wheel hub has a total of 5 pieces of mounting hardware (4 bolts to hold the body of the wheel hub and bearing assembly to the steering knuckle, and 1 VERY large nut - I think it's a 30mm or 32mm - to hold the axle half shaft end in the hub assembly. I changed out the wheel hub/bearing on my sister's (my old) '05 Cavalier - it took about 2 hours, and was a job I had never done before. They aren't hard to work on (if you have the right tools).

Also, the wheel bearing/hub assembly is the first component in the drive line that is NOT covered by the powertrain warranty. It is covered under bumper-to-bumper warranty, and may be covered by a Chrysler service contract depending on which one you bought, but the 60 month/100,000 mile (or km if you live north of the border) powertrain warranty does not cover them (as far as I remember from the warranty booklet).

Edited by bfurth

Just read this whole thread, and am curious about something YellowDuck. On the crescent I live on here in Kitchener, Ontario there is a pearl white Journey at, I believe, the house second from the entrance to the crescent. There used to be two Jeeps in the driveway, is it possible its your Journey?

Nope, not me. We are in Guelph.

It's not like they are exactly a rare sight around here. Sometimes on the short commute to work I feel like every 5th vehicle I see is a Journey!

• 2 weeks later...