My first DIY Oil Change on the R/T

warbird24

Just finished up on the first oil change on our Journey R/T. Things went well. I pay attention to placement, any wet spots, chaffed wires,

and all sorts of things when I do these. I can't believe all the stuff underneath one of these! Whew!

I put a Mobil1 Filter and Mobil1 10w-30 oil in the Journey today. We're right at 1500 miles and I like to do the first oil change early just in case.

The FACTORY Oil filter was weeping a little bit. I have the Trailer Prep group with the extra Oil Cooler and this might be why. There looks to be an added assembly where I suspect the stock oil filter would be. This places the oil filter further aft on the engine, but no problem getting it off.

The Oil Sump is a solid aluminum pan. Very stout. A 12 MM drain plug drops the oil out of the engine. I also noticed that this drain plug was NOT as tight as I would have figured. I have had many problems doing the first oil changes in the past, but my last few cars have been painless as this one is.

NOTE: I did NOT reset the oil minder this time. My next change will be at 4000-5000 miles and I would like to see if this notice will come up during this time period.

Just as a reminder to all: 2.4l and 2.7l requires 5W20 and the 3.5l is 10W30.

Warbird: sounds like you enjoyed 'exploring' under the block. Doing it yourself is a great idea if you are comfortable with it. That way you can tell if something is amiss from the last time you crawled under and you can deal with it or least report it to the dealer.

Warbird: sounds like you enjoyed 'exploring' under the block. Doing it yourself is a great idea if you are comfortable with it. That way you can tell if something is amiss from the last time you crawled under and you can deal with it or least report it to the dealer.

Been wrenching on my cars as much as possible for as long as possible. While I let my oil drain, I have lots of time to look under the car and inspect things, look for leaks and in some cases wonder out loud to myself things like HOW do I get the starter outta there if it fails! LOL! Shoot, my new Camaro is a dream compared to the Journey in terms of access to parts under the car.

On a scale of 1-10 with 10 being TAKE it to the Dealer, I'd give this one a 2 for sure.

• 3 weeks later...

I just had a big road trip with my journey and dumped 2000kms onto the odometer over just a weekend. I checked the oil when I got and it was still full but the girlfriend just informed me the change oil light came on this morning on her way to work. Should be around 4000kms on the truck. Does that seem right? The other dodges I drove didn't have an indicator but the dealership always did it at 5K on the stickers.

I am debating wether I should get the first one done at dealership or not just in case...

• 2 years later...

Hi..can i used 5W30 for my journey 2,7L, because in my country hard to find 5W20.

• 2 years later...

Been wrenching on my cars as much as possible for as long as possible. While I let my oil drain, I have lots of time to look under the car and inspect things, look for leaks and in some cases wonder out loud to myself things like HOW do I get the starter outta there if it fails! LOL! Shoot, my new Camaro is a dream compared to the Journey in terms of access to parts under the car.

On a scale of 1-10 with 10 being TAKE it to the Dealer, I'd give this one a 2 for sure.

That is one big reason why I went with the smaller engine, this is the most room that I have ever seen on a front wheel drive or rear wheel drive since the 7+ years I have been a professional mechanic, I will be happy with it later when I need that room; after I get over the loss of power and torque with the smaller engine