Rear brake pads change

youngblud

It's a pretty universal tool I think, AutoZone should have it

I bought a universal one for a few bucks, and it didn't fit. I ended up buying a pretty nice set for $70. The only problem is that now the rear calipers are hanging up to the point that the new pads were smoking and the rotors are warped. It's at the dealer right now, and they've already warned me that since I changed the pads, it is probably not under warranty... get ready for my fury Dodge...

• 1 year later...

I bought a universal one for a few bucks, and it didn't fit. I ended up buying a pretty nice set for $70. The only problem is that now the rear calipers are hanging up to the point that the new pads were smoking and the rotors are warped. It's at the dealer right now, and they've already warned me that since I changed the pads, it is probably not under warranty... get ready for my fury Dodge...

What happened next? I just put a set of Raybestos pads/rotors on the rear and the left side was smoking when I got to work. Coincidentally, this is also the side where the old pad was completely gone and left a nice gouge in the old rotor. Right side wasn't that bad.

Edited by mikeymouse

• 2 weeks later...

For the Canadian members,

I did my rear pads this past weekend. I used a caliper piston tool from Canadian Tire which only cost $14.99

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4/Auto/AutoTools/AutoBrakeTools/PRDOVR~0251113P/Powerbuilt+1-1%2B2-in.+Rear+Brake+Disc+Caliper+Tool.jsp?locale=en

This listing shows the 1 1/2" inch tool but there were two sizes and I used the smaller one. For whatever reason the website only shows this one size. Sorry but I can't remember if this was the smaller one or not.

The smaller tool I purchased worked and fit on the piston perfectly. One tip, while turning the piston back the rubber sleeve around it tends to bind up which is not good. I smeared some brake lube grease around the piston where the rubber meets it and this allowed the piston to turn without binding the rubber.

Whole job took about an hour.